Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor tmacg65
Occasional Contributor

Wireless Home Broadband

I’m in day 3 of no ADSL service, the tech has been booked by Optus and will arrive sometime between last Thursday and this coming Tuesday. It’s always a Telstra guy that shows up, awkward.

Its unfortunate but highly likely the connection will return without human interference when the rain stops.

I’m over it and really, if Optus call me and offer me NBN again I’ll throw the phone out the window - even though we are within 25km’s of Sydney CBD, NBN will not be here until September 2019... possibly!

No landline, no internet, no Fetch TV not a good recipe for a weekend of rain so I’ve been researching my options that lead me back to Optus or it’s resellers with Wireless Home Broadband.

I’d like to know:

Do I have to sacrifice Yes Fetch TV, if so, why?

Do I have to sacrifice a landline?

Can I stream SYFY and movies?

Does Apple TV work with Wireless Home Broadband?

How do speeds compare with ADSL?

Please do not suggest cable, Optus cable is very poor!

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Wireless Home Broadband

Lots of issues there. Lets try knock a few off the list:

1) Optus don't have responsibility for the copper lines. So if you need the copper lines inspected / repaired then its only Telstra who can do that. So nothing to be awkward about there.

2) I'm surprised Optus are offering you the NBN when not available (its pretty clearly marked in their database and as you say they have other products (they own) to try selll you ). I assume you've put your address into the NBN Address Checker and confirmed the date?

3) It sounds like you will be getting FTTC NBN (Which is probably the second best NBN Tech option IMO). FYI proximity to the CBD had no bearing on the NBN rollout. While it would have made a lot of financial sense (saving billions) to deploy the NBN to major cities first, politically it just wasn't tenable to tell regional areas with almost no internet that they just had to wait another eight years while the cities (that already have 100Mbps options) get revamped first.

4) You're looking at Wireless Broadband. You can choose Optus or VividWireless (aka Optus)  on these plans. Main thing that they are speed limited to 12Mbps (which is probably around the same speed you are getting in ADSL).

5) The plans have no FetchTV component (likely because its hard to guarantee streaming over non wired connections.) Regardless if you switch to this option you will need to return your Fetch box to Optus I believe.

6) AppleTV works fine with any internet connection. 

7) Landline not an option with wireless broadband.

😎 You can buy your own Fetch TV ($400) and subscribe to Fetch TV directly ($1 to join and then buy channel packs as desired - note any Optus Fetch channel packs won't work on this unit). NB you can get a cheap unit here or if you just want streaming then the mini does the job 

So moving to wireless broadband is likely costly, you lose the landline, FetchTV and speeds are capped. 

Optus cable would involve a significant performance boost, little extra cost and you can keep all the stuff you currently have. 

The choice is yours.

Peter Gillespie

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter for your great answer.

Ill wait and see if Telstra can fix the line, would prefer to keep my Fetch really don’t need the phone line.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Good Luck. You'll need the copper line in working regardless for when the NBN does finally arrive (assuming youare getting FTTC) although NBNCo will take over responsibility then and do the first connection for free.

Just a note if you do decide to get your own Fetch TV don't buy them off eBay - those are scams.

Cutting the landline is something we finally did. The industry seems to be trying to discourage them now days.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My Sister and I share a property, with separate accounts, she has cable, I have ADSL there will still be copper lines.

The only people who call the landline are call centres, it will eliminate the need to get their Company name and tell them I’m on the do not call register.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Don't know how far apart the property is but you can get a 40m cat6 cable for $30 or so and just plug it into her modem. 

Peter Gillespie