Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
emmsee
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Wireless Broadband speed dropped from 25 MBPS to 3.5 MBPS

I've been 2 years on the Optus Wireless Broadband (500gb/month) using a Netgear AC800S modem connected to a 4G MIMO Antenna, connected with LCU400 Coax.

Until this week I regularly (school Holidays excepted) got 25 to 32 MBPS and suddenly it has dropped to .8 to 3.5 MBPS - slow as dial up!

I've changed the sim to my phone - same result (my phone's an unlocked Telstra mobile and I regularly get 80 MBPS on it, with a Telstra SIM in it).

The Optus Tower is 1.4 KM (ATCF) in line of sight of both antennae. The tower runs on 700, 1800 & 2100 MHz (4G+)

I've rebooted the modem 8 times and the devices numerous times.

Modem firmware is UTD.

I've rebooted my laptop, Chromecast Google TV, both mobiles and a Roku box.

I've disconnected all devices from WiFi and Bluetooth, isolating the laptop as the only device connected to the AC800S.

My devices are all within 2.3 metres of the modem.

I run a VPN, but the difference with/without VPN enabled is negligible.

No outages reported at Optus.

I'm at Gloucester NSW.

Anyone got any advice for me?

cheers

Mike

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Vin_YC

Re: Wireless Broadband speed dropped from 25 MBPS to 3.5 MBPS

Hi @emmsee, it's not good to hear you've been having problems with your Internet service.  This certainly isn't the experience we want our customers to have.

Have you checked the Network Status page to see if there are any outages in your area may be affecting your service? Simply click on Fixed Outages and enter your full address into the search bar and if there are any outages, you will see them reported.

If there are no reported outages, may I suggest having a look at the My Optus Service Is Not Working: Troubleshooting Index guide for steps to help you get the best connectivity for your service.  Just select the Internet connection type you have.

Alternatively, please reach out to us by a private message via our Social Media pages (official Optus Facebook page or Twitter page) where we'll be able to obtain your details securely and run some checks for you to provide you with more accurate information specific to your location.

You can also reach us on a smart device via our Messaging service on the My Optus app 24/7.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@emmseeSounds like one of the bands is faulty at the tower you are connecting to. Had a similar issue with the AC800S 12+ months ago and Optus took 6 weeks to fix the B40 on the tower.

I would use the Optus app to contact Optus and lodge a fault. Get the fault# and ask when it will be fixed and if they indicate someone will call back then get how long you should wait. You can get Optus to send you a dump of the conversation(s) to include in your complaint.

After waiting for the time to expire make a formal complaint via the Optus web site and request that Optus supply a B818 and re-imburse you for the time while the fault persists. The B818 allow allows you to lock out/in specific bands using LTEHMonitor, which I have to do when Optus B40 fails every few months.. This will allow you to use the other bands and you should hopefully be able to get 10 to 15 Mbs as a min depending on the band(s) you enable.

Be aware that the response you will get from Optus will be the same quality as per the previous post.

If you want to try to get the AC800S working head on over to https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/18?g=128 and search for "AC800S and telnet". It did not work on my setup.

0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@emmsee  If after contacting Optus there are no faults, ask them to do a High Level Rebuild on your account  (Also referred to as resetting the codes on your account.)

I am an Optus user.
AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@Tigers1719Any idea what the High Level Rebuild actually does, besides potentially helping like it did for you in the past?

0 Kudos
Tigers1719
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

@AndS
I know they disconnect you from the tower.
It took about 20 minutes, rebooted router, speeds returned to normal and have been fine since.
I am an Optus user.
0 Kudos
emmsee
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone for the great information.

I have lodged a fault report with Optus via my app and (somewhat) patiently wait for an update.

cheers

Mike

AndS
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

@emmseeYou will be waiting and waiting zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

0 Kudos