Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
New Contributor JCheah
New Contributor

Wireless Broadband Carrier Aggregation Issue

Hi Everyone,

I am on the 500GB Wireless Broadband using the Huawei B525 Modem Router.

Basically, the issue I have is that carrier aggregation (CA) gets switched off after approximately 6-8 hours of non activity and would not reactivate even when there is streaming activity or downloading files. (either overnight, or after I come home from work)

I monitored the CA Mode via the router device information section in the B525 settings. I was informed in other forums that CA should reactivate upon downloading activity but its does not in my case. Tried it multiple nights with the same result.

The only way to reactivate CA is to turn the B525 off and on again or reconnect to network manually. I understand that CA is controlled by the operator so I am wondering if Optus has turned off automatic CA on my 4G towers?

Hope Optus or someone with similar issues can assist in this issue. 

Cheers.

Jas 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Wireless Broadband Carrier Aggregation Issue

If Optus had turned it off as you assert, then when you restart or manually force network selection it would not restore. This is possibly because your B525 device has "disconnect on no-activity", change the setting if there is one (I'm not familiar personally with the B525s as I've not used one), that keeps the connection "alive" rather than disconnecting after inactivity.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor JCheah
New Contributor

Unfortunately the Huawei B525 does not have the setting to configure for keeping the connection 'alive'.

The connection is stable and not disconnected at any time. Only the CA Mode is deactivated after 4-6 hours of inactivity.

The issue is that the CA Mode does not automatically reactivate AFTER internet activity starts again, resulting in only approximately half of the bandwidth being made available.

It's almost if Optus configured the towers only to provide CA to new connections.

No one with B525 modem has this issue?

Cheers.

Jason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Bronson137
New Contributor

Yes I do find that after a period of inactivity, the modem connects OK but fails to deliver any decent bandwidth.  If the solution is simply turning off and turning on again, then that should solve the problem.  I cannot connect the Smart TV to the 5G band but only to the 2.4G band. This must be a restriction in the television rather than the modem as my Surface Pro and Ipad both connect to the 5G band.  Are these assumptions correct?

0 Kudos