cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Will Optus or NBN upgrade HFC to FTTC or better?

Hi @nothappyjanus ,

A lot to digest there. I can't get in to it all now but a couple of points. 

1) Optus are experiencing widespread issues with the internet yesterday/today so that might mean you are getting worse at the moment. It should have cleared mostly up now though.

2) FTA TV isn't sent via the Internet. The image quality is fixed and shouldn't really change. Each channel/show may have a different quality though (HD, SD, etc.). Its possible though that if you have changed boxes that the new one does a bit worse displaying the image?

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey NotHappy, try to keep all your eggs in one basket Smiley Happy  No, they did not delete my reply, it is in your original post, but you are now in another one and spreading your topic far and wide. It is best to confine it to the one location so people can see what all replies and suggestions have been offered.  Then, of course, they know best which way to help you Smiley Happy

Something I would suggest to you is to slow down and when it is possible, just look through the Forums under,

Internet & TV > Broadband & Telephony > NBN

Then when you get in there, just look at the header topics, see what information is coming from other people, maybe look through 10 pages or so if you are new.  Why you may ask?  Well, I looked today before replying and I found three interesting facts. 1) Congestion and outages in your area, 2) HFC and unhappy long time customer with the same issues, and 3) Queensland having major issues.  This will always cause a flow on effect. Even though I am with a different provider, they still use OPTUS for the supply of my NBN line, LoL and they outperform them at every level.  I am also Fibre to the house, so I would expect a good performance.
From what you wrote, I understand your wireless is your biggest issue, it would seem that the Sagemcom unit needs to be tuned for optimum performance. You should do a line speed test on your cable connection though, connect a laptop and run a speed test to see what results you are getting via hard wire.  Then run the test again using both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz WiFi in different locations.  Record these and compare the hard wire to the line speed you are being supplied. Then compare the WiFi to this as well.

I do not use Fetch, I never thought it was worth it, I use a 4K android box with Kodi and I for the most get 4K streaming TV. We use other APK's such as Amazon Prime, VIKI, Netflix and YouTube Premium.  Kodi provides all of my sport from anywhere in the world and I do not think I have watched gormless Australian TV for 3.5 years now. Who wants to marry a master chef while dancing on a deserted island TV, Bah..!  LOL.
Anyhow, patience and try out the speed test. Do it at different times of the day too, as that will give you a picture of when it might be choking or not.

Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
Contributor nothappyjanus
Contributor

"From what you wrote, I understand your wireless is your biggest issue, it would seem that the Sagemcom unit needs to be tuned for optimum performance. You should do a line speed test on your cable connection though, connect a laptop and run a speed test to see what results you are getting via hard wire. Then run the test again using both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz WiFi in different locations. Record these and compare the hard wire to the line speed you are being supplied. Then compare the WiFi to this as well."

Sorry but i am not very techie. So check ethernet connection to my devices for speed and latency? Is that what you mean by line test?

Yes ,sorry about that. I did read a few prior posts before my initial enquiry but obviously not enough? I put to FTC  in a different place from NBN so as not to confuse but i obviously made it worse! Haha

Also i believe i should have been given a splitter? I have no splitter that i can see on my nbn box coming out of the wall. I take it all such NBN boxes should come with a splitter provided? We don't have foxtel cable or anything connected but why would the splitter not be provided in an unopened box? Or did nbn technician take it away for some reason?

If we want foxtel later wont we need it?

Thank you for all your help.

Now to try to find all the responses to me haha.

@Jiefu 

0 Kudos
Contributor

Fta tv? Fetch tv?Foxtel tv? Doesn't come through internet? 

Thanks Peter?

@petergdownload 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

Ok mate. Free to air tv! Ok. So even though i have internet nbn going to the tv and the antenna goes to fetch tv box ,the fta is not in anyway provoded by the interjet. It simply  comes from the antenna through the fetch mighty box and to my tv . So image quality does not depend on nbn or internet cabling at all. Right?

Thanks.

@petergdownload 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi NHJ, I know I said a lot of questions is never bad, but its starting to get hard to track what your issues are now. It might be a good time to boil things down a bit in point form to the nub of the problems as you see them.

I would suggest you concentrat on issues now rather than if you get Foxtel one day in the future. In any diagnostic always reduce the problems down to the point where things start working as you want and then start adding on extras one at a time.

To answer your last one, yes, the FTA broadcast (ABC, Channel 9 etc.) has nothing to do with the NBN. If you have issues with those channels its one thing. If you have issues with FetchTV channels or Netflix etc. then that's the internet and another thing.

@Jiefu is throwing in some advice but I'm having difficulty following it. For example I don't know what "I'm with a different provider but Optus is supplying my NBN" means?)

Peter Gillespie

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@petergdownload  It is quite simple but not really relevant to this particular user. However I will explain, I was a loyal OPTUS client, still am as far as mob service goes. But for FTTP the service is dismal to say the least. I have posted more than once on this topic and zero response. Eventually, fed up with paying for nothing but problems, I looked around and found an Australian provider. With me so far. They lease their bandwidth from,.OPTUS. Amazingly, they can provide what OPTUS cannot, speed, reliability, SIP codes and a decent wifi dual band router. The real rub in all of this, is for exactly the same service I was recieving from OPTUS I pay 30 dollars less. So, as far as I can make out, there is not a problem with the NBN, it is equipment and lack of knowledge in the way the techs from OPTUS deal with things. This I can say from my own personal experiences as well during my time with OPTUS, but I have never tried to talk anyone into jumping ship, I have tried to help them get to the best that I got with OPTUS. The truth is, while they keep Sagemcom, they will never make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
My only goal is to help the poor buggers who are stuck in a contract, try and get the best of a bad situaton. Even my own connection is different as pointed out, I am FTTP and NotHappy is HFC, which I might point out, I suggested before anyone else even considered looking that way. Does not using Optus NBN preclude me from having a say, I think not, as I have provided mor information to help and not told people to pack and join the current ISP I am with. I still have Optus email, Optus wifi broadband and Optus mobile, so I believe that entitles me to offer help and assist anyone who has difficulty with their system. If Optus pulled their collective heads out of their rear ends, and offered a premium router for a cost price as I have suggested many times, they might not have as many customers who were more than just plain fed up. Even I probably would still be there. Sorry, Hit me on a nerve there. Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Jiefu , no discouragement meant. Its great you taking time to help others, I'm just finding some of the comments in a long post a bit hard to follow (and I'm a techie) so I'm not sure what non-techie like NHJ is making of it. Just flagging that sometimes we aren't being quite as clear as we think we are - I know my posts probably fall into that more often than I realise Smiley Happy)

I was curious on the NBN/Optus statement because the NBN is the NBN. No other Telco uses Optus to provide the NBN. Many do however lease bandwidth from the big three Telcos to connect to the 121 POI the NBN provides around Oz. I agree its very surprising a Telco like this is out performing the big Telco as they have almost no direct control over the leased bandwidth. However whatever the reason its great you've found a solid provider. 

But you're correct, this is OT so NHJ can ignore this bit anyway. 

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

@nothappyjanusYes, you are on the track there. do your speed test first with a cabled unit from the modem/router to a computer. verify your speeds a couple of times, to different servers if you can. Not being tech savvie should not prevent you from having a go Smiley Happy, I think you will find that it is all easily explained and simple to follow if you do not rush it. Use the new tab functions in your browser to keep your instructions on one page while you use the speed test on another. After, you can disconnect and go to WiFi mode and do it again from different locations within the same room and different rooms. This will tell you the difference between the actual physical speed and the wireless speed.  An example is my results on the Ookla test from my provider to an Adelaide Tsra server.  Purchase is 50/20 d/u, cabled is 52.55d/19.85u, WiFi is 45.75d/18.75u.  The difference is on cable I actually get better than I pay for in down speed, but a little less on the up speed, on WiFi, I lose about 7 in the down speed, but on;y .1 in the up speed.  These are acceptable figures as this is all done at the peak times last nightbetween 1800 and 2200.

It is irrelevant who my service is with NHJ, it does come down to equipment and having it set up correctly. HFC is a very troubled system and many people are not happy as they have lost performance since the merging with NBN. No matter, it is what we have and it should be setup correctly. As for splitters, I am not sure, if you are thinking of the old days and line filters, they are long gone. Splitters that I know of are only in use in houses where there are myltiple tv and internet conections required.  Don't give up, just chip away one bit at a time and you will see results.  Hopefully by now, you have had a tech guy come around and try to sort this out for you.  Cheers, Jeff

Contributor

Thanks Jeff. I can say that Optus has told me we have congestion till an upgrade occurs and that they will allow me to leave the contract and or give me a monetary amt  etc.

I can tell you I am very upset at Turnbull stuffing up this system when Comm Minister. The cobbling together has really spoiled  it for many and especially for me who was on cable and had superior service. Lest the Liberal voters think I am biased I also believe the Labor gov at the time butchered the system by allowing so much control to be given to resellers as well.

No, the splitter is a part that is meant to be in the NBN box ;I checked the scope of delivery. It seems my installer pocketted it as I vaguely remember seeing it when the box was opened.

Anyway, thank you for your help as always.

I am still trying to learn how to have all my responses in one place. It is only with yescrowd forum I have this problem.

@Jiefu  

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Top Contributors