Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why my account has been over-charged after migrating to NBN plan ?

Since I migrated from previous Optus Cable plan to current Optus NBN plan, billing became a mess: now my account has two plans (one $80 NBN, and the other fixed phone) , instead of one, and I always got wrong charges, even after I "Live Chat" with Optus staff to fix the wrong billing. This month I get new bill with two plans charges. I do have some extra-packages for fixed phone only ~$20, but getting charged for $80 plan)

Can anyone fix my account billing issue? I don't want to waste my time on such issue any more.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why my account has been over-charged after migrating to NBN plan ?

The first bill after changing plans is always messy. 

Possibly the changes you tried to make last month have now caused more calculations this month.

Either wait for the next bill to see how it shakes out or contact LIVECHAT again to confirm you only have one plan now on your account.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@hatasun

We definitely wouldn't be billing you for the old cable service. I mean it's possible but it wouldn't appear on the same invoice. Cable customers have their own unique billing account numbers that begin with 1. This sounds more like an example of a service that's been billed prorata as well as a month in advance. Have you taken a look at the billing period dates? For example, if you began using the service on say the 5th of the month and you've been assigned a billing cycle of the 17th of the month then your bill may look a little like this.

From         To              Details                          Amount 

5th OCT    17th OCT   $80 broadband Plan       26.00

18th OCT  17th NOV  $80 broadband plan       80.00

We have more info on this topic available here. If you have any other questions, send them through 🙂 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your tips.

I contacted LiveChat again, and he told me the wrong charge is for SetTop Box fee, which should be a free upgrade, and he agreed to refund this $90.

What a mess on billing! This is the second time of wrong charges after switching to NBN from cable in August: last month (Oct.) I was wrongly charged ~$60, and I chatted with LiveChat staffs for over one hour and make it clear and got refund at last.

Shall I spend so much efforts and time on such issues every time on Optus bills every month? Unfortunately, It seems like I have to manually check them from now on.

By the way, complain a bit about FetchTV as well : when I was on cable bundle, most channels are included, such as kids, music, knowledge and news; after "upgrading" to NBN, only one package is included in bundle for free, I select "kids" one, and now other most channels are unavailable unless paying extras. In fact, now I pay $10 more than previous cable bundle, with slower internet speed (50% only) and much less TV channels, and other benefits are similar.  I don't understand "NBN is leading us to be more advanced, or back to legacy ?".

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Ah, I see. A Fetch Mighty upgrade is included a plan benefit on our $80.00 broadband plan. It does sound like we've mistakenly charged you an upgrade fee. If you'd like us to take a look at your rate plan and most recent bill, we'd be happy to do that for you. I'm happy to try and give you a bit of peace of mind.

What was the name of your old Cable bundle? You were on a cheaper bundle that included all premium channel packages? The $80.00 plan gives you access to one free Premium Fetch channel package and Optus Sport. We can always add the ultimate pack on for you (all 45 premium channels) for an additional $14.00 per month. Click here for more info.

Cable and NBN are completely different Networks with an entirely different pricing structure. The wholesale cost of purchasing capacity and speed tier options greatly exceeds the cost of maintaining or Cable Network. The services aren't like for like. The $80.00 plan gives you the 25/5Mbps speed tier by default. Our standard cable speed offering is 30 Mbps. We do offer premium speed packages for an additional $30.00 per month.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi Hatsun,

I'm sure only a small number of customers experience billing mistakes, but if you're one of ther unlucky ones it does seem to take too much effort to get them fixed. Once your billing is fixed (next month?) then it should just be the same month after month.

FetchTV changed its pricing and package setup. When you migrated to the NBN you effectively ended an old contract and started a new one. So the new pricing applies to you. Nothing to do with the NBN directly though.

On the NBN, yes its a big transition and working out the newnormal is going to take a few years (for customers and companies). Inner city Optus and Telstra Cable users have had access to high speed broadband for decades. The NBN has been about providing that capablity nation wide. Cable users still get some benefits but overall its less of a leap forward than the rest of the country is experiencing.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

My current NBN plan is $80 base plan + 3 fixed phone packages (local, mobile and international), rise to $100 totally.

Previous cable bundle is total $90, including all above fixed phone packages' benefits and FetchTV (most channels), and most importantly 100Mb speed boost (two times of my current NBN speed), and I had used it for a couple of years, pease of mind without worrying about wrong bills.

And I won't pay extra $14/m for other channels, frankly speaking.

Have to say, whatever the cost structure difference between old cable bundle and new NBN bundle, I don't get any extra benefits as customer, but paying 10$ more per month. Generally speaking,  IT tech development should bring total cost down if benefits are kept the same, or similar cost with better benefits. Isn't it ? Otherwise, why AU goverment is pushing hard on NBN?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

But you do get benefits.

1. The Optus cable network was/is on the brink of collapse. It will be completely junked in the next two years (you are now on the NBN upgraded (previously Telstra) cable now.

2. You now have access to upload speeds of 40Mbps (Previously the most anyone could upload at was 2 Mbps) 

3. Your network is now positioned to get 1000Mbps speeds as the needs increase.

4. Companies developing services on the internet generally focus on the lowest comon denominator (speed). After all, no point building anything if only 20% of the nation can access/pay for it. The fact that now everyone has (or soon will have) access to 25-100Mbps speeds will quickly mean you get some amazing services that just were'nt worth providing / techincally feasible before.

5. Perhaps most importantly, you now have a choice of RSP. Before now you had Optus and possibly Telstra for highspeed broadband. Now you can choose any RSP and if you're smart enough to chose a month to month plan then swapping to any provider simply takes a phone call now. And choosing a good RSP appears quite important at the moment (some of the smaller ones are providing much better performance and service than the old incumbents)

But that's just your personal gain. The "total cost / benefit" applies to the nation (National Broadband Network). Sure there's a cost building it, but there's also a huge benefit to many manyt citizens (and yourself as outlined above). A one off blip of $10 more a month for the internet seems a small price to pay IMO.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Okay, @hatasun, we did have an ultimate cable bundle offering. That was essentially the whole fixed broadband product suite rolled into a $90.00 broadband bundle.

If we were to offer such a deal to every customer migrating across from cable to NBN, I dare say that we'd be offering NBN at a loss. The pricing structure is still being ironed and I'm sure we'll eventually see faster speeds for less as CVC capacity becomes more and more affordable for ISPS (I understand that we're one of the big Telcos but this is something we obviously still take into consideration). If you have any other questions for us, please don't hesitate to send them through.

0 Kudos