Searching...

Why isn't the UNI-V port activated on my NBN Connection Box?

marlych

Having just taken the leap to the NBN we are very impressed with the speed of our connection. In contrast, we are disappointed that the Optus modem has to remain powered up in order to place or receive a simple voice call. It is annoying enough that we have to leave the NBN connection box powered up all of the time, let alone the modem - all in order just to facilitate a voice call.

Prior to the NBN, we did not leave our modem/router on 24/7, however, we could still make a voice call because the connection was powered by the exchange - old technology I know, but a power saving one at that. Furthermore, we live in a timber house and prefer not to leave power plug packs (power bricks) on all the time. Whilst I understand why we have to leave the NBN connection box powered up, I am disappointed that Optus has not enabled the UNI-V port on the NBN connection box thereby eliminating the pointless requirement to have the modem powered voice (aka VoIP) call. If Telstra can do it, why can't you, Optus?

Re: Why isn't the UNI-V port activated on my NBN Connection Box?

Nghi

Hey marlych, thanks for your feedback. At this time Optus isn't offering any services over the UNI-V ports and all voice calls do need to go through our modem. As such, the modem is required to be turned on and connected to receive/make calls. I can pass along your suggestion to our product managers and this could be something that may change in future. We don't have any information on when or if this feature will be activated any time soon.

marlych

Thanks for the update, Nghi. That means our modem has to be left on ALL of the time in order to keep communications open for our security alarm. This presents another ponit of failure for said alarm system. Modems have a habit of losing line sync from time to time and the chances of this happening are more frequent than a direct line to and from the NBN connection box. Luckily, we do not rely on a line for emergency medical situations. In addition, the modem has to also be plugged into our UPS which we had to procure because this Optus offering did not incude a battery backup.

Please pass onto the powers to be that I am very unhappy about this severe limitation. The fact that voice calls are via VoIP instead of via the UNI-V port should be highlighted on the advertsing litertaure and PDS,

Furthermore, heavy users must be annoyed because they who would experience a loss in voice call quality (QoS) when many devices are connected to the modem.and using the connection heaviliy.

Nghi

I can certainly understand your position marlych. Our sales agents are instructed to ask if a prospective customer has a back to base alarm system, medical alert etc. This information is also included in the "Important Info" section on our NBN plans online. Please check here and you'll need to scroll down to the bottom and expand that section. 

Important Information for Cable & NBN Customers: Equipment supplied requires mains power, which may not be suitable if you have a serious illness or condition, require disability services, have a back-to-back alarm, or require an uninterrupted telephone line. If this is the case, contact us and we'll help you find an alternative solution.

marlych

Thank you, Nghi. So where do we go from here?

Tris

There's no plans to change how VoIP works via Optus NBN currently marlych, I'll certainly ensure your feedback is passed onto the relevant team though

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

marlych

Thanks for the update, Tris. Can you please pass on that this is a major failing of the Optus NBN plan and I considering terminating my contract and sourcing another provider - I may even consider Telstra!

Sam_D

Appreciate the feedback @marlych - apologies if this set up doesn't suit your situation. If you do choose to leave us (we'd be disappointed to see you go) I'd just recommend ensuring that your new provider does utilise the UNI V port to avoid the hassle.

marlych

Hi Sam

I am investigating options with other providers.After being with Optus for 20+ years, it will be sad to leave. It is a shame that the UNI-V port is available but not being utilised! What is the reason cost? Too much hassle?

Jiefu

Dragging up an old topic, but it seems more relevant now with the forecast of a third of our upcoming year to be without power. S.A. 129 days without power forecast next 12 months, Vic 78 days without power next 12 months.

How in hells name can we get through to the OPTUS management and technological branches that we need UNI V phones with battery backup power. Looking to other ISPs is always given as our option with the sorry to see you go message, but why is it that OPTUS does not care enough? Money, too hard, technically challenged, or Telstra owns UNI V ports..? I know enough that I don't want to go to the T company, but options are few. I like OPTUS, I have had 20+ with them, a few ups and downs along the way, but all in it has been good.  Since NBN, it has been one issue after another, rubbish equipment, sales issues and failures taking over 15 months to resolve, unplausible deniability by operators until proof of offers and sales receipts are presented are but to name a few. On the plus side, I have FTTP and upgrade to tier 3 speed. This service since acquiring the AC Sagem has been far more stable and a pleasure to use. Although, still nowhere near the speeds attainable with my TP Link unit.

Back full circle, UNI V, having this for our phones, would take the heat off OPTUS about the unhappy modem users and at the same time, save us from having to look to changing to a company that many of us do not want to deal with.

So, please give us a reasonable explanation for why OPTUS does not have, or want to use the UNI V port on the NBN systems.  I think we deserve it.

Our time and power is running out. Jeff

If you go through life with your head buried in the sand,......all people will see is an ass..!
I am an OPTUS customer and NOT in their service.!!!!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
79 Kudos
78 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
30 Kudos