cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor cruick
New Contributor

Why is streaming netflix counting towards downloading?

After being sent in circles by the call staff for about 2 and a half weeks, I FINALLY got to use my data free streaming for netflix.

It was less then a week later of purely streaming netflix I decide to check my data usage and noticed I was almost over my data allowance. I then talk to the live chat team about where my data has gone when they begin to list off the past week all my netflix sessions which added up to 22GB after questioning why this was tallied when it should be data free, they claimed because I was downloading from netflix, which isn't correct at all as I haven't downloaded a single thing from netflix it has all been streamed.

Before any answers about it being the way I am watching netflix I would like to clarify I was watching off my mobile phone, it being the only device streaming netflix, and the entertainment package was activated in the Entertainment tab on my account. I have called your billing team about the issue and they have claimed they put a ticket in with your IT department and to wait for a call back, after never recieving any call backs from previous attempts at getting issues resolved, I am positive I won't hear back (as it is coming onto the 5th day of my 3-5 day wait time for a call back).

Are there any hidden hoops we have to jump through in order for this service to be truly data free?  Because I thought I jumped through all of the ones I could find from my own research. At this stage I am feeling like this service is a scam, and your customer service teams definitely feel like a bunch of con people.

Has anyone else experienced the same issue, have you resolved this issue?

5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Why is streaming netflix counting towards downloading?

Hey cruick, sorry to hear you've been having a rough trot with this so far 😞 Can I ask if this data usage is via the usage alerts on the phone or the Optus "Data Breakdown" feature in the app? Although it's unmetered, the Netflix data still shows up in the data monitor. If you wanted, we're able to check the actual data usage for you in the back end to confirm what you've been billed for if you'd like? If you wanted a hand with this, please send us through a PM with the full name, account number and date of birth on the account and we'll do our best to get it all straightened out for you.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Anna1234
New Contributor

I’m having the same problem. Have spent hours on online chat and the phone with Optus. Thought I finally had it sorted, and was assured it was. Then I received my bill for extra data. Spent more hours on chat. Did you manage to work out a solution? It’s not the contract we signed up for and it’s super frustrating... 

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

As long as we've applied the free Mobile TV streaming add-on, streaming Netflix in SD 1.5Mbps will not count towards your usage allowance.

Usage will appear in Big Data and Data Insights via the My Optus app for apps that are part of the Mobile TV Streaming, however this usage will not count towards the included data in your plan. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor NATE2322
New Contributor

I too am currently experiencing the same issue the customer service member claiming that I am downloading files instead of streaming when I'm not. Constantly trying to put me on hold or transfer me to tech support. It's used up 60%of my allotted data and I'm getting no answers and it's like they aren't actually listening to what I'm saying as I have 23days left on my billing cycle and less the 1gb of data am being told to reach my limit then use nothing else on my phone except netflix for 2-3 days so they can test this. Which means basically I won't have use of my phone for that time because of this failure in the optus system need help resolving this because I'm quite upset. They claim that there going to investigate this further but who knows how long that will take

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey @NATE2322, we'll need to confirm the following

1). The corresponding, "free mobile TV," addon has been correctly applied to the account

2). If so, have you gone into the My Optus app and checked your Data Breakdown. 

When you head to the data breakdown screen, all data (including data that's been used on unmetered services) are shown.

For further insights, click on the daily use tab. If you were to tally up the amount of data used within the month and compared that to the data displayed on the pie graph, there should be a noticeable difference.

We'd expect the tallied amount of data usage to exceed the usage that's displayed on the pie graph.

For further peace of mind, you can reset your handsets data statistics to align with your billing cycle. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos