cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Raaj
New Contributor
New Contributor

Why is Optus customer service so terrible?

This surely has to be the most disappointing customer service experience I have ever been through.

I will elaborate.

My internet stopped working from Jan 23rd. The speed was like 0.5 Mbps and that too getting frequently disconnected. I spoke to Optus on that day and they arranged for a Tech Visit on 25th Jan (Morning). I had to take time off in order to be at home on that morning. The tech never turned up in the morning. I waited for the whole day and no one turned up that day at all. I received no update whatsoever as to the reason or the status of my fault.

From that day, I have had the most harrowing of experiences in trying to sort this out - Everyday I would contact Optus through chat, but each day I would hear the same thing - No one had any idea as to what happened or what needs to be done. Every single person would promise to call me the next day with a status update, but this never happened.

If this was not bad enough, here is the worst part - On 31st January I was chatting with one Reuben, who said he has booked a tech visit for the following day - Feb 1st. So again I had to stay at home waiting for the tech - and again no one turned up, for the second appointment in a row! And again there was no update at all as to what happened. I have saved the chat transcript from that session from Reuben as a proof of what was spoken.

If this was not bad enough, when I was following up on this again with Optus on the subsequent days, I learned that the tech appointment was not even booked for that day (1st Feb) in the first place!

This, in essence is the customer service that I have been facing over the past few weeks. People just saying something or providing promises for that moment, without any consideration of the reality.

After all these days, we are back to square one - No one knows why the tech did not turn up on 25th Jan, why the appointment was not booked for 01-Feb as promised, and why no one followed up on this fault or gave me a call to update me on this, as promised.

Latest Update - I want to add one more chapter to this story - the tech appointment was scheduled again for 6th Feb, and again the tech did not turn up!! So this is the third time now, third day that we had to stay at home and not go to work, only to find that the tech did not turn up as promised again!! I am clueless and speechless and don't know what to say!

15 Replies
Toomey
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Why is Optus customer service so terrible?

Hey @Raaj, thanks for bringing this to our attention, it certainly sounds like you've had quite the run around which is not the way it should be. Please send me a private message with your account number ,full name and DOB so we can review the notes and follow up.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Raaj
New Contributor
New Contributor

An update on the above situation..if what happened so far was appalling, I dont know what to say for the following - 

After repeated attempts, upon insisting that i needed to know why the tech did turn up, i got an answer - at least as to why the person did not show up on the last occasion - apparently the techician called my mobile and I am supposed to have told him to come in the evening, and he ran out of time in the evening and hence skipped the appointment. Sounds reasonable? Maybe, except that NONE OF THIS IS TRUE!! I never recieved a call from any technician, let alone me telling him to come in the evening.

After hearing these lies, after sitting at home waiting for the tech the whole day, I was totally speechless and clueless!!

Up until now, i have experienced incompetence and sloppiness from Optus customer service, now this has gone to a whole new level, where I realise that ETHICS ARE DEAD, as far as Optus is concerned. People will say ANYTHING to get off the hook!!

i dont know what else to say!!!

boreen
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unbeliveable, so sorry for you. You can conplain to the Telecommunication Industry Ombusman, Keep any hard copy you have. Good luck.

Spoiler

Raaj
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks boreen! Yes I had already raised this with TIO and the response from optus is a bit better now, after 3 weeks. Atleast a person now calls me regularly and updates me on the situation (Sourab - he is good).

but unfortunately the issue is still not resolved. Finally a tech managed to actually come home (fourth time lucky!!), and all he needed was 5 minutes to determine what i was fearing the worst - that the problem was with Telstra line on the road. Apparently for such issues the minimum wait time is 1 week to get an appointment from Telstra line technician (urgency of the issue, or all the past series of issues dont matter)..so i am still stuck without internet, waiting for the telstra technician to visit this Friday and praying that the issue will finally be resolved, After a month without internet!!!

0 Kudos
Monyetmerah
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have also recently received a bad customer service, our Internet has been slow for the past few weeks and I tried to contact Optus Customer Service, after the going through the endless multiple selection on the menu, I finally got connected with the Tech Assistance, was advised to hold the line as they will try to contact me on my mobile. After I got connected on my mobile they advise to disconnect the land line phone conversation. While they are trying to check the land line connection my call on the mobile was also disconnected. 

After 5 minutes the Tech called me again on my mobile and was not too friendly after accusing me that I disconnect the call (doesn't even make any sense why I would disconnect the call), and again after a few minutes of conversation the phone call got disconnected again, this time the Tech did not call back and I sort of give up with this treatment.

My Internet is still patchy and I am now considering of switching provider.

0 Kudos
Dan_C
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Monyetmerah, not the sort of experience we have mind 😞

If you like, I can go in and take a look through the account. I should be able to offer a bit of guidance.

If i notice anything out of the ordinary, I'll be sure to relay that back to you.

I can always submit a direct referal to our case management. I'll arrange a suitable time for a call back.

Can you send us a private message with your account details? We're after your full name, DOB and account number.

I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Tupper
New Contributor
New Contributor

I'm having a similar experience, it would seem whenever I attempt to have my service related when I move its the same story.

Book a date for it to be changed to the new address.

Date goes by, nothing.

Call Optus, nothing.

Email optus, nothing.

Chat with the Optus site help, nothing.

Just excuses and redirecting my call for more than 3 hours.

I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to change provider now.

Erds
New Contributor
New Contributor

Optus custumer service still no changed in fact still getting worst. My experience is from super slow adsl2 changed to nbn, upon nbn was activated my adsl2 still on going and received 2 bills at the same time. Optus told me adsl will be disconnected once nbn is active, but that did not happen. I keep on calling and chatting to the custumer service. Calling you have to wait for minimum 45mins before u can speak to someone,chatting u have to wait also and one agent to 5 agent before someone will give u answer. The worst thing is they wont update you, they will tell you thatwe will give u a call for update but nothing will happen. And now my fetch box suddenly stop working it appears that the fetch box was not active all of the sudden omg. Theres one thing optus will is very good. Sending the bill on time. I will complain to consumer affairs ombudsman or wherever. By the way i supposed to changed to other company but i was been told that i need to pay $345 since my contract not finish yet, so i continue isnpite of i think service will be better. But i regret really.
AnoopTS
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yes, Optus really has terrible service. My internet donwload/upload speed is 0.15mps so use of this at all. Please let me know how to complaint about this? i am trying to switch the provider but i have contract with optus till June. from 2 months i am paying 60$ per month with no internet at all. Tried live chat calling customer service everything they don't resolve this and i end up paying wit no internet.

0 Kudos