Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Graham
Occasional Contributor

Why has Optus email become so slow ?

I have Optus broadband which runs quite fast.

Prior to about 17 March 2016, Optus email has worked quite well displaying the contents of an email message in a reasonable time.

Since then, how long it takes to display a message has become a lottery.

The list of items in the inbox displays within a few seconds but when I left click on an email to open it, the email may be displayed instantaneously but more often I wait 10 or more minutes (according to my trusty digital timer) till the full message is shown – even if the message is less than a page.

The email template shows almost immediately and my browser, Firefox, shows messages (at the bottom left of the window) such as

for long periods.

Eventually the text arrives and for a minute or so, emails open quickly before the system returns the long delayed messages.  All the while, Windows task manager shows 1% or less CPU use.

Images tend to be displayed a long time before the message text arrives.

It does not matter whether the message is a new or previously read one.  Both inbox and outbox messages have the slow disease.

Draft messages are displayed quickly.

Does anyone else have this problem?

9 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why has Optus email become so slow ?

Have you tried a different browser?

Contributor Dragonnanny
Contributor

I sympathise with you. I open email and I see who sent it but the page is blank, tried different browser same thing, if I click on forward I see it but cannot click on any links etc. This is fairly recent and it is annoying me no end but cannot find any info about it anywhere...........I use Optus Webmail all the time and I am tired of blank screens on opening an email.

New Contributor Gregfos1
New Contributor

Don't worry I just did a Optus speed test on cable between 6 MB to 10 MB at 9:30 PM. This morning at 10:30 AM my laptop on Wi-Fi was downloading up to 50 MB nowonly 7 MB.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Gregfos1
New Contributor

sorry guys I forgot to mention I have just recently received new modem version 2 but still the money that we pay should be a lot faster. All I'm doing his web surfing the pages are really taking a long time to load, compared to this morning, as mentioned.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies.

I should also say that:

At the same time as Optus is trying to fill the emails I can search in Google at very fast speeds. 

Windows task monitor shows little to no network traffic.

I shall try a different browser but have been using Firefox for at least 5 years with no problems.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Gregfos1
New Contributor

With the download speed. I have tried Google Internet explorer and also Firefox lately Firefox tends to hang when using Outlook. I would never use Firefox a again. A family member. Users Firefox or the time their computer slow they won't change from Firefox. I would never use Firefox 

Occasional Contributor

Again thanks to those who replied – especially Yeldarb and Grefos1.

As Yeldarb and Gregfos1 suggested, I tried another browser (Windows Explorer) referencing the same emails while I was waiting for replies in Firefox and WE showed the replies very quickly.

It never occurred to me that the problem might be the browser.  I thought the most likely reason was that Optus had released a version of Webmail with a new bug.

Over the last few months I had also noticed that Google Maps was giving terrible response times (to not replying at all) so I had stopped using it.  After success with email, tried WE and replies almost instantaneous – another problem solved.

I started using Firefox years ago when WE was unable to show drop down menus correctly.  I especially like “Better Privacy” in Firefox which lets me delete LSAs.

If I can ask another question … what do you think is the best browser around?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Glad we could help Graham. I would have to say Chrome, Firefox and Safari are normally fairly solid and some of the older versions of Internet Explorer were pretty good. All browser will render pages slightly different and in some cases not display content at all. I would steer away from browser add-ons and plugins as these can often cause issues like what you were experiencing. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
New Contributor GraceDuPrie
New Contributor

It's now January 2019 and I am also worried as emails don't reach me in time. Because some of my work requires me to respond straight away it can cause me to loose work. What is happening?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos