I have up to now been a Telstra customer with ADSL 2+ broadband with a speed about 2.4/0.8 Mbps, which I'll refer to as Bigpond.
As this ultra slow Bigpond service is no longer tenable, just in the last few days I connected to an Optus Mobile Broadband service using a Huawei B525 modem/router. Even though I am well out of the Optus 4G area, this modem gets a good Optus 4G signal and gives me an amazing 35 to 50 Mbps download speed. The upload speed was a slow 2 Mbps until I took forum advice to change the band from Auto to "4G (without 2300 MHz)". Now it uploads at about 15 Mbps, which is great for me.
Now the new Optus service with its unexpected fast speed has been great. It loads pages really fast, live streams HD without buffering, routs great to all the devices in the house, and is a pleasure to use. Except for one problem:
The new Optus mobile broadband will not open Optus web pages, "Yes Crowd" pages, "My Account" pages or anything with an optus.com.au/........ URL. When I say pages won't open, I mean the attempt will end up with an access denied error, server not available error, or will just sit there with a white screen going nowhere. This may not happen every time, but at least 19 times out of 20.
But as I still have the Bigpond ADSL service connected, I can easily switch from one network to the other within a second or two. If I switch my device back to Bigpond, all those Optus pages load without a problem. This is a glitch that happens regardless of the device being used, and regardless of the browser. I have tried many different combinations of Mac desktop, Macbook and iPad using Safari, Firefox and Chrome. And regardless of the configuration, if I am connected to the Optus B525 modem the Optus pages and links don't load, but all other websites load without a problem. However, when connected to my Bigpond ADSL, the Optus pages load normally.
I have contacted Optus and spoken to a technical support person, but he couldn't help with the comment he hasn't heard of the problem before. I have done a reset of the modem and cleared out browser cookies and caches.
So, why won't an Optus Mobile Broadband not open their own web pages, but will open everyone else's pages? And in the meantime, a Bigpond ADSL service does open those same pages, using the exact same devices and browsers. I had to use Bigpond to post this question.
Thanks for raising this @BrianWatts
We've had something similar come up in the past. We'll investigate and get back you.
We haven't received any other examples, so it makes things a bit difficult for us.
Can we try flushing your DNS cache?
On your Laptop or desktop, open your command prompt (windows only)
In the Admin command prompt, type " ipconfig/flushdns" (without the quotation marks).
If you're using a MAC:
Open, "terminal" → Type, "Flush DNS"
Let us know how it goes. If there's no changes, we'll work out the next steps.
We have 7 devices here, all are Apple products. An iMac desktop, 2 laptops, 2 iPads and 2 phones.
The problem exists on all 7 devices when using OSX, but does not happen on the iOS devices when using the iOS apps on them.
So I flushed the DNS on my 27" iMac. On Terminal "Flush DNS" was not a recognised command so I looked it up. It needs the command "sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder".
After doing that there was no change to the problem, the Optus pages would not open on Optus mobile broadband, so I had to go back to Bigpond ADSL to get into Yes Crowd to type this.
So it's back to the drawing board. Didn't think it was worth trying the laptops.
Thanks for your efforts Dan.
I still have this problem, and so do other people.
Do you know whether anyone from Optus looks at this forum or has any interest in helping solve any of the problems? There are at least three other topics that essentially deal with the same problem.
In the thread below, Iain deals with the problem, and then experimented with putting a non-Optus SIM in the B525 modem and he eliminated the problem. I tried the same thing, putting a Telstra SIM in my B525 and also had no Optus page loading problems. So neither the B525 itself, nor my various computers, iPads or iPhones are the problem. The problem is either the SIM itself, or the way the SIM interacts with the modem or my mobile broadband account.
Dan, do you have any suggestions other than asking Optus for a different SIM to try?
I am the Original Poster, just with a different account name.
I have solved my problem by changing the APN.
Go to the router web interface 192.168.8.1 > Settings > Log In
Popular Topics > Set up your router for internet.
It says "Your router usually applies the necessary settings to establish a connection to the internet automatically. If this isn't the case, you can set up your router for internet manually."
So follow the manual set up procedure:
Settings > Dial Up > Profile Management > New Profile
Profile: Optus Yes Internet
And then hit Save.
This solves all the problems that have been plaguing me for 6 weeks, and no-one from Optus was able to help. I would sort have thought that Optus Technical staff would have been able to suggest a manual setup, rather than expect it to happen successfully automatically.