cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor wi11iamr
New Contributor

Why does my download speed effectively disapper after 5pm?

I have a 30Mbps Fusion Uncapped Cable service from Optus - it was installed this Saturday past. While I mostly do get the promised 30Mbps download speed, my issue is that in later afternoon/early evening I effectively lose all upload bandwidth which effectively negates any form of transactional activity on the internet as I cann upload the traffic required to hold/maintain a session.

Please advise if there is any fix to this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why does my download speed effectively disapper after 5pm?

Upload speeds on non NBN is capped at around 1Mbps. This is normally enough to 'transact' with the internet. Are you saying you get less than 1Mbps in the evenings? 

Your issue would seem to be congestion related (lots of people on the network in peak hour). Unfortunately there's not much that you can do about that as it requires Optus to provide more bandwidth. Optus systems will presumably already be reporting the shortfall

Suggest you contact Optus direct (in peak hour) and ask them to confirm line speeds from their end and perhaps send out a technician to look. If they say that the "issue has known and they are working on it but there is no timeframe for a resolution yet" then that's Optus speak for wait until the NBN arrives.

Peter Gillespie

New Contributor wi11iamr
New Contributor

Re: Why does my download speed effectively disapper after 5pm?

Thanks Peter, will give them a call this evening

0 Kudos