cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Why are Fetch STB recorded shows unavailable when internet is down?

100% Optus provide this forum. Often it is to just fix customer issues but they'd be daft to not mine such a valuable resource of squeaky feedback.

Peter Gillespie
Contributor
Contributor

After 8 months of the NBN... the Fetch box is mostly working... although the NBN still drops out more often than it should.

However the fact that the Fetch box goes into sleep mode after a couple of hours of inactivity is a constant source of frustration.

My mum is 90 and spends a lot of time watching the TV but has  trouble getting the Fetch box to come out of sleep mode (mostly she stuffs it up).

It would be better if the sleep timer was a lot longer... or could be turned off?

🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

How is this solved? Why is it still happening. We are in our 2nd day of no internet and can only watch fta tv. Why can I not watch any of the many recordings we have stored on the hard drive in the fetch?

And yes I have read the pathetic excuse that the fetch box needs to verify it’s registered. The basic and simple fact is that I can only record those programs because the box is registered. We paid for the subscription and throughout this fault period continue to pay the subscription. In fact this is lost money as we are paying for a service we cannot access.

Maybe this issue needs to be taken to a governing body.
0 Kudos

Hey there, @Xcelplus

I also have been thinking of turning the Sleep Mode off, since I have the TV going in the background and so just had a look at the updated way of turning this setting off. It is as below:

Press MENU on the Fetch Remote, then go to Manage > Settings > User Preferences > View Options 

Then under the first setting in that menu, "Pause and Remind Live TV Options", you would need to change it from "Managed" to "Never Stops". 

This should see the timer turned off. 

Please let us know if this isn't the case and we can follow up further. 

Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely agree... it's really annoying to have hundreds of shows available and not be able to use them. Only the squeaky wheel gets the oil... so complain loudly and repeatedly?

You can probably get it going by creating a hotspot on your phone so that you have some internet... but that shouldn't be necessary?

🙂

P.S. Since we upgraded to the 100 Mbit internet option (up from 50 Mbit)... the Fetch box has been running fine. However 100 Mbit is $30 more. This is not a good solution because our original Optus plan was 100 Mbit and was $30 cheaper. So with the NBN we're now paying more to get the same service! That's hardly an upgrade?

If you're going to charge us more you ought to be providing faster connections?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

If the updated menus turn off the sleep mode they'll save a lot of time:

Manage settings> User prefs> View options> Never stops

🙂

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"If you're going to charge us more you ought to be providing faster connections?"

The Fetch will run completely fine on 25Mbps (you can veiw 4K Netflix via Fetch on that). FTA channels and recordings don't need any steamed data (only a connection to validate the box)

If the Fetch isn't working on 25-50Mbps then something is faulty.
0 Kudos