Searching...
Accepted Solution

Why am I being emailed "You've used 100% of your data allowance" when I have only used ~4%

bdh113

Hi, two days ago I signed up for a $70 My Mobile Broadband Plus 100GB Month to Month Post Paid plan.

Today I was emailed saying I had used more than 85% of my data. I was surprised. I have only done a bit of online gaming and streamed a few TV shows. I wanted to make sure that I wouldn't exceed my data allowance so I checked my online account. My online account reported I had only used about 3.5GB. So I then got in touch with online chat support - I chatted with Ria and I saved the interaction - Ria reassured me that I had only used about 4GB when she assessed my account from her end. I sought reassurance that I would not be charged for extra data if I did not exceed the 100GB allowance. She told me everything would be fine and not to worry. She also said there must have been a mistake in sending me the data usage email. But tonight, I have been emailed again, now with the statement that I have used 100% of my data and this email states I will now be charged for data at 10c per MB. My online account now reports that I have only used 3.7GB. Please help, as I am very confused and I want to ensure that I am not charged for extra usage.

Solution

Re: Why am I being emailed "You've used 100% of your data allowance" when I have only used

10000000000GB

Check what your alerts are set to. I touched mine and they set at 1.5gb, so i disabled them. Chat didnt even know what an alert was, so I turned them off by disabling the email address and phone number.

Re: Why am I being emailed "You've used 100% of your data allowance" when I have only used

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

The 10c per Mb bit is quite strange. Optus doesn't charge excess data like that anymore (You get endless top ups of 1gb at $10 a go). It does seem this is some error on OPtus system sending you wrong info for the wrong plan.

That said. If you do go over Optus won't be copping for it. You will be asked to pay if the Optus system says you've used the data (and at 10c per Mb you're looking at $100's very quickly)

If you have a Windows or Android phone the most important thing to do is set the monthly warning and limit (and rollover date) on the phone itself. That way once the phone gets 9.5Gb of data it will shut the connection down  for you. 

But before you go any further I would make sure the data is at the point you think it is (again). Call and ask for the current usage to be verified (if possible record them saying it and the date/time) Also ask them to put a specific entry in your file to the same effect.

Also get them to check if somehow an old plan / limit has not somehow been set up to the SMS warning system (mention the 10c per Mb bit) .

Regards

Peter Gillepsie

Highlighted

bdh113

It appears that the alerts are the problem - the alerts are set to send at 1.5GB, and unfortunately there is no higher amount that you can set the alerts to. Which is unfortunate, because I would like to know when I am approaching my limit.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 09.18.15.png

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Good find by @10000000000GB.

You should still get the standard alerts (50%, 85% and 100% - and each time you top up). Custom alerts were presumably for setting other points. It also explains the (obsolete) 10c warning as this area of the Optus site has presumably been abandoned long ago and the prompts and limits reflect conditions many years back.

And as mentioned if you have the right type of phone you should always set the phone to limit / warn your data and not rely on Optus to tell you 48+ hours after you've gone over. You can also install the Optus App which has a widget to show you current usage in near real time.

Regards

Peter Gillespie 

[ Edited ]
10000000000GB

The custom alerts override the supposed hard-wired 85% alerts. Chat can't fix the problem, or on average knows nothing about it.

I'll have another go --- cringe.

Changing to the 140GB 12 month plan will fix it, but I'm not sure if I want to lose Netflix. Currently I use a fair bit, but that might change by the time the year is up.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
29 Kudos