cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor dpcdpc123
New Contributor

When will Optus update Router/Modems firmware for the KRACK WPA2 Attack?

For those who haven't heard, news of a severe breach in the WPA2 Wireless protocol being released on 16th October. Given we can't update the firmware in our routers/modems when will Optus be updating them for such a critical issue.

Here is an article with the details for anyoen who is interested:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/severe-flaw-in-wpa2-protocol-leaves-wi-fi-tra...

I have a CG3000v2 which has Firmware v2.08.07.

4 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: When will Optus update Router/Modems firmware for the KRACK WPA2 Attack?

Its no 5 minute job.

Once the full announcement is made for the flaw then the device manufacturers will need to work out if they can patch it.

Then once thats been tested its sent to isps liek Optus to test then release.

Probably better targets than home users at this point in time  in regards to manufacturers working on patches.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
0 Kudos
New Contributor dpcdpc123
New Contributor

Major device manufacturers were notified weeks ago and a number (e.g. Ubiquiti, Mikrotik) have apparently already released updates for their devices.

0 Kudos
New Contributor youmustbejoking
New Contributor

Based on past experience with Optus I won't hold my breath!

I'd be happy to update the firmware  myself since I know how to get in to advanced settings (thank you Whirlpool) but can't find an update on here or the Sagem site.

from this website : https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/3kaxz3/krack-wifi-hack-attack-guide-explainer

It's worth keeping in mind that in order to pull off such an attack, a hacker would need to be in your device's Wi-Fi range and impersonate a network that your device already trusts and would attempt to connect to. Secondly, the attack does not compromise a Wi-Fi network's password, so a hacker won't be able to clandestinely join your home network.

New Contributor Pieter-v
New Contributor

I have the same cable modem - CG3000v2 which has Firmware v2.08.07

The Netgear advisory is found here: https://kb.netgear.com/000049498/Security-Advisory-for-WPA-2-Vulnerabilities-PSV-2017-2826-PSV-2017-...

I noted this part of the advisory "... gateways are only affected when in bridge mode (which is not enabled by default and not used by most customers)."

I logged into the modem and verified that the checkbox for 'Bridge mode' is indeed not ticked. Good news.

So, trusting Netgear's advice, I am satisfied I will not be affected, as I don't have a router that I need to 'bridge' to.

0 Kudos