Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor DavidTJ
New Contributor

When should I update my router/ modem

I have an Optus supplied NETGEAR CVG824G v3 modem/ router. Recently I and my family have experienced slow internet, interrupted NETFLIX and connections dropping out. I suspect the modem/ router may be antiquated and needs to be replaced with something more powerful. Is this likely to be true? Does Optus provide updated equipment, and what is the process for making this happen? If not, should I look to buy a third party modem/ router from an electronics shop?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: When should I update my router/ modem

Good question @DavidTJ,

I Don't know if Optus will upgrade your cable modem. They upgraded mine a few years ago when I recontracted with them but I'm not sure if I was lucky. The following site: approved equipment list lists all approved cable modem makes and models in case you are interested in buying one (just make sure it's DOCSIS 3.0 compliant). Also, you can pick up some cheap 2nd hand Netgear CG3000V2 modems on ebay (they are DOCSIS 3.0 compliant) from other old Optus customers (buyer beware).

As for what DOCSIS means, you can read about it here

Final words of advice:

The modem (CVG824G) you currently have is not a DOCSIS 3.X compliant modem it is a DOCSIS 2.0 compliant modem. This means that the modem cannot not technically support bandwidths greater than 30mbps. So please tell me that you are not currently paying for a speedpack in excess of 30mbps - because if you are then you are getting ripped off?

Beetroot
0 Kudos
New Contributor DavidTJ
New Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I spoke to somebody from Optus on their chat line and he said that it wasn't Optus' policy to update modems. Our current plan is 30 Mbps but NBN is due in the area next year and I suspect we'll consider faster plans then. The Optus technician did say that we would need to upgrade at that point. However my concern is whether I can increase performance now. The technician said that Optus could sell me a Sagem F@ST 3864 router and a NETGEAR CM500 modem for $119 now, which would be compatible with NBN should we join up to that next year. However I note that respondents on other threads have been concerned that this equipment is not cutting edge. The Optus technician also said it would be fine to buy third party products although Optus would not guarantee speeds.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Maybe you're better off staying put till the NBN arrives. The NBNCo supply you with their own Cable Modems (NTD) for free if you sign up to an NBN HFC plan with any retail service provider (RSP).

Beetroot
New Contributor IronMike
New Contributor

Can you confirm that we do get a free modem.  I have been trolling the internet all morning and I can't find any proof we get one.  I have a Nighthawk R7000 router which, if we get the Arris, I want to plug my router into this modem.  I also don't want to be left short without a modem if it comes to install date and I have nothing on my doorstep.  🙂

0 Kudos
New Contributor DavidTJ
New Contributor

Ironmike,

No I cannot confirm that Optus will provide an updated router and/ or modem free although they provided the original (Netgear) free when we first joined several years ago. However after some investigation I did decide to purchase the Optus recommended combination of router and modem which is compatible with NBN due to arrive later this year. Optus sent the equipment and I followed their instructions and set everything up without Too much trouble. It did solve my problem. I have been expecting to see a charge added to my monthly account ( I think about $120) but it hasn't happened yet and two months have passed.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor MightyMagpie
Occasional Contributor

Hi. I've just got off the phone with OPTUS who are sending me a Sagemcom 3864 AC Modem and Netgear CM 500v Router.

The reason is that I am concerned about the KRACK vulnerability discussed  in recent reports on home wifis. ( https://www.cnet.com/au/tags/krack/  ) I cannot update the current Netgear cg3000 Router firmware to avoid the problem. OPTUS have responded by saying they will supply me with new hardware as it would happen anyway under the NBN rollout.

I did not enquire about cost BUT clearly under distinct impression that it would be a replacement at no cost.

0 Kudos
New Contributor DavidTJ
New Contributor

Its been three months since my last post and Optus still haven't billed me for the new router and modem so its now over six months since we got the gear - I don't think they're going to. The SAGEM modem and Netgear router you mention are what they sent me and they have worked very well. We were experiencing a lot of drop outs with multiple family members accessing at the same time. The replacement equipment seems to have sorted that and speeds have been good too.

I am expecting NBN within the next few weeks so we'll see how things go then -but the gear is all NBN ready so I'm hoping it'll be smooth.

I don't know anything about KRACK vulnerability,

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor MightyMagpie
Occasional Contributor

I received both my devices yesterday and a tech Support call from Optus today as promised.

I disconnected my GC3000 and installed the Sagemcom and Netgear 500V on a new wifi network.

I had, by the way, registered a download speed of 64Mbps before the installation on my iMac running Sierra.

3 hours of Tech Support were not enough to get the new devices up and running...SO close yet so far away.

A technician is coming Monday 23/10 to have a look.

In the meanwhile the old Netgear was reinstalled and the download speed dropped 15Mbps. Very possibly not causally related.

I had a laugh when I reread the package, as there were no set up instuctions, telling me that set up was like greased lightning...it's done in a flash! This was a severe warning to me akin to "simple to install!".

I have confirmed there is NO cost for both devices and NO change to my current plan. I also have NO NBN but at least I'll be ready for it when it arrives next July to Dec or so they promise.

My reading of some posts in this forum does not imbue me with hope re wifi range, internet speed and low dropouts. Suffice it to say I have had vitually little or no dropouts with the Netgear GC 3000...luck of the draw? My follow up question might be do we have to transfer to the NBN when I feel like leaving well enough alone. 

0 Kudos