cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor JS2
New Contributor

What is the acceptable ADSL2 speed?

Recently moved premises and was hoping for better speeds with ADSL2 as compared to regular ADSL.  Have finally got the service activated (another story!) but found download speed of 4.88mbps is all I can get (confirmed by Optus customer service) - my Telstra 4G dongle gets 29.85mbps... can anyone explain it? Is this normal? Not much incentive to stay with Optus if I can get 6 x the speed on the mobile broadband network with Telstra...

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the acceptable ADSL2 speed?

You can’t compare 4G to adsl as they are different technologies. The distance from the exchange and the quality of your line would normally determine your adsl speed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor tyson5ek
Contributor

Hey mate,

Yeldarb is spot on with this one. Depending on how far you are from your nearest exchange may affect the speeds you are experiencing. In saying this however, a lot of different factors may vary the speeds of your ADSL connection.

ADSL2+ isn't as great as 4G because they are very different technologies (as Yeldarb explained) ADSL uses your phone line to provide you an internet service whereas 4G is a fourth generation network.

0 Kudos
New Contributor JS2
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies - appreciate the info and have done some further research too... Sounds like 4G being 4 X faster than ADSL2 is the norm? Ours is 6 X faster so still seems slow - speeds supposed to be between 4 and 8 Mbps in our area but we are barely getting 4... Disappointing that we can't get 16-20Mbps  like in the low socioeconomic areas of Brisbane! Doesn't make sense... 

0 Kudos
Contributor tyson5ek
Contributor

Perhaps it's not  a server-sided issue and maybe your hardware or software is at fault or your wiring isn't complete. Trying performing an isolation test?

0 Kudos
New Contributor JS2
New Contributor

Not sure how to do that - but the Telstra service people who connected us today should have checked the wiring and it's the same hardware as at our previous address - was getting more than 8 Mbps there - only 1km away as the crow flies! How do I perform an isolation test?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I believe the 1kms you are referring to was your old address so how far away are you from the exchange now?

0 Kudos
New Contributor JS2
New Contributor

I'm not sure - is there a website I could check on?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can try putting your phone number into the top left on the link below.

http://www.adsl2exchanges.com.au/

0 Kudos
Contributor tyson5ek
Contributor

You can test your hardware by performing an isolation test by clicking here