cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Herr_Keuner
Occasional Contributor

What alternative cable modems to the Netgear CG3000v2 are available in Australia?

Does anyone know the brand and model of a cable modem that I can buy here in Australia and that is compatible with Optus ISP?

I want to replace my Optus supplied Netgear CG3000v2 modem with another cable modem but am having trouble finding one that I can purchase. It seems most retail stores only sell ADSL & NBN compatible modems, not cable modems.

I experience frequent drop outs and failures with Spotify and internet radio over my Sonos sound system. The Sonos technicians have identifed the problem as being the DNS settings of my Optus supplied modem/router (Netgear CG3000v2). They suggested I change the DNS settings to the Google DNS (which apparently is broadly compatible with most applications). But when I tried to reconfigure the DNS settings, it turned out that Optus had Netgear customise all of the modem/routers they supply for Optus customers so that you are unable to change the DNS settings. Checking other threads in this forum, it seems a number of people have had a similar problem, pleaded with Optus to release firmware updates to allow re-configuration of the DNS settings (which Optus ignores), and that the only solution is to buy a new modem/router.

I have searched online shops and phoned various suppliers (including Netgear) but no one has been able to identify a cable modem or cable modem/router that I can purchase here in Australia and which will be compatible with Optus cable broadband services.

I would appreciate any guidance that someone in the know can give me. I have spent several days boouncing between Optus, Netgear,  Sonos, and various online retailers, all to no avail.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What alternative cable modems to the Netgear CG3000v2 are available in Australia?

You may be able to bridge the modem assuming this feature has not been removed from the firmware. When running in bridged mode you do not need another cable modem and subsequently many off the shelf modems will do the job. If you have no experience working with these settings then you may need to engage a mate or IT professional that does.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2541553

cg3000v2-bridge-mode.jpg

Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Re: What alternative cable modems to the Netgear CG3000v2 are available in Australia?

do you experience any spotify drop out when playing it on the computer or a smart phone/tablet?

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Crowd Champion SillyGogo
Crowd Champion

Netgear CM500V + 
Sagemcom F@st 3864V3 AC 
(modem + gateway bundle)

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

No - but then I only listen to Spotify on my phone when away from home (so streaming via Optus 4G network not over the home wifi)

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - I might try this out if other solutions don't work.

Since my last post, I got hold of another Optus technician online who identified some "minor power issues and radiofrequency issue" with my modem and is sending out a technician to check it out. Not sure if this will also fix up the communication issue between Spotify/internet radio and the Optus DNS configuration of the modem.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Bridging a modem is a fairly common practice but it can get confusing if you have no experience with it. Good Luck Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Top Contributors