cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
NicoleMc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Webmail suddenly empty & not receiving email to phone?

I’ve all of a sudden stopped receiving emails to my IPhone. I get the odd message come through randomly but no longer have every email being pushed to phone. I rang Optus who said check webmail as you could have reached quota I knew this wouldn’t be the problem as I am still receiving emails on my Mac. I checked webmail and I now noticed I have NO emails on webmail inbox which is completely weird as I’m usually at 90% capacity. Any ideas if this is due to NBN install done recently or the latest Apple update?? I’ve tried rebooting, deleting accounts and re installing them. Nothing has worked so far
0 Kudos
10 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Webmail suddenly empty & not receiving email to phone?

Check your Mac settings and ensure that it is not set to POP3. For mails to be left in webmail it needs to be set to IMAP.
0 Kudos
NicoleMc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Would this be the same for the phone? When I reinstalled my mail accounts I selected pop bit imap should I have selected imap?
0 Kudos
Aman_YC

Hi @NicoleMc - You can  use either but IMAP  is most recent and more popularly used. Please feel free to contact us at the links shared earlier in my reply. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@NicoleMc All your devices need to be IMAP. When a device set with POP3 connects to mail it downloads all the mail (inbox at least) for itself and leaves nothing in webmail for any other device to see.

@Aman_YC Its got nothing to do with the fact that IMAP is most recent. IMAP & POP3 function very differently and using the wrong one will cause issues as shown in this case.
NicoleMc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Still not working!! Optus phoned me back today and said it’s a mac issue. My webmail is deleting immediately off server hence why I’m not getting any messages on phone can anyone give me step by step instructions how to change email server to imap instead of pop????
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm not a Mac user, but according to this, you can't convert a POP3 account to IMAP so you will need to create a new email account on your Mac.

0 Kudos
Sarah_YC

Hi @NicoleMc,

You can find details on how to set up IMAP on our Setting up Optusnet Email - POP3 VS IMAP blog.

As YetAnotherAcc mentioned you'll need to delete POP3 and set IMAP afresh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
NicoleMc
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I think I’ve fixed it myself and it has nothing to do with imap or pop. I went into mail>preferences>accountsInformation and it appears that the “remove copy from server after retrieving a message” was ticked. I did a test and sent a message from my phone and it appeared in both webmail and Mac mail and has not disappeared from webmail so that means I should receive on my phone! Fingers crossed 🤞 this is for anyone that might need to save half your life trying to figure out how or why this has happened because we hadnt changed a thing from our end!
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

That setting will definately do it, and all devices need to have that checked if you want to manage deletions centrally in webmail.
0 Kudos
Top Contributors