Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Webmail inbox messages I haven't read turning read by themselves

Hi everyone. I recently noticed that unread messages in the Inbox sometimes turn into "read" by themselves. I mean the blue dot disappears and they are no longer bold without me having read them.

I started suspecting that the account was hacked and (with great difficulty) changed email password (if you decide to do this by the way, make sure you can get someone on the phone to reset it if it gets stuck - which it will if you have a newish account number.  Now due to COVID most call centres are absolutely overloaded). But, even after this password change this still occurs sometimes. I have seen a few posts about this on Yes Crowd but still unsure.

This ONLY happens with the main email account. Secondary accounts do not show this symptom

Since I have great difficulty believing that my new password was somehow cracked in a few minutes I discard for now the possibility of hacking my password by someone (also emails read seem to be random and mostly what I would consider spam or junk). 

This problem coincided with sudden increase in Spam. My guess is that this may be to do with Spam settings. Maybe emails need to be read from IMAP server by Optus spam filter to decide whether it is likely to be spam but then somehow they do not get moved to Spam folder. 

But honestly, I don't know

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Webmail

That is quite the mystery, RedVortex.

Have you compared between whatever mail program you use and by logging into Webmail?

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray

I only use Webmail. I might setup Thunderbird or something and see what happens

Good suggestion

Do you know if there is a way to tighten the spam filter on the email account?

Best regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ray

The same thing happens with Thunderbird. Some emails get marked as "Read"

I think I worked out what is going on.

If webmail is opened with a mobile version, then a single email message at the top of inbox is marked as read. Sounds like a bug in the client side code of Optus webmail.

Way to reproduce:

Have Thunderbird/Outlook open

Send a new email to your email account

Observe the new email arrive in Thunderbird as unread

Open webmail with an Android/mobile device

As soon as you log in in webmail, email turns into "read" non-bold in Thunderbird. But only one email, the one shown in the top of the list. 

It will remain "read" in all clients from this point on regardless of the fact that it has never been read.

Email is now shown as read in all clients (Mobile / Desktop webmail, Thunderbird)

Seems to be an Optus specific issue

Any chance of logging a bug with your tech team?

Regards

Red

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Nice investigation work, Red!

My father let me know he is also experiencing a similar issue, unfortunately I'm currently unable to go see him and check it out due to the restrictions.

I will pass your findings on to our tech team.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos