Searching...
Accepted Solution

Webmail: How do you send emails to a group conveniently ?

Graham

I have used Optus webmail to send messages to one or a few people and it has worked OK.

I now want to send an email to a group of people.  I set up a group "gm lunch" of contacts which I dragged in from my contacts list and it looks fine.

When I type "gm lunch" into the "To" field of a new email and hit <Enter>, a blue box appears around "gm lunch" as though it has been accepted.  However when I click "send email", I get a "Sending Failure" message and none of the people in the group get the message.

Has anyone managed to use the Contact Group successfully (for group emails or other purposes) ?  It's a pain typing in 11 contacts for each message !

Solution

Re: Webmail: How do you send emails to a group conveniently ?

Graham

After a lot of fiddling and dead ends, I have found the answer.

There seems to be no way of typing the group name as a recipient - as you would in gmail.

In Optus webmail, the easiest way to send an email to a significant number of contacts you must

1.  select the "CONTACTS" screen.

2.  choose a list name from the groups shown in the left column (or use the default list, "Personal")

3.  left click the contacts (right hand column) in that list that you want to receive the email you are about to generate

4.  click the 5th button from the left in the second top line which starts "NEW CONTACT".

(The 5th button is labelled "Mail" with a right pointing green arrow on it.)

then

An email stub is opened in COMPOSE mode with the contacts you selected shown in the "To" field.

The most convenient way to send an email to all members of a group such as "gm lunch", is to

1.  select the "CONTACTS" screen.

2.  select "gm lunch" from the groups in the left column then

3.  click the "MORE" button on the right end of the line starting NEW CONTACT.

4.  click the "Select All" action.

5.  click the 5th button from the left in the line starting NEW CONTACT ("Mail with green right arrow).

then

An email stub is opened in COMPOSE mode with all the contacts from the group shown in the "To" field.

As always ... obvious when you know the answer.

Re: Webmail: How do you send emails to a group conveniently ?

John73

Thank you - that was very useful.  However there are about 40 in the group I wish to email to, which means that the group list goes into two columns (1-25, 26-40)  and I can't work out how to select all in the group - it seems to only work with one column at a time.  Is it possible to send to all the people in this group at the one time?

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
28 Kudos