Searching...

WHY CANT I CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON MY CABLE ROUTER?

olliebucko

OK so heres the deal.

I have my new Optus cable service which is awesome btw but whenever I get a new piece of hardware by default I will change the devices "standard" log-in credentials, in this case it is admin = admin and password = password.

I cannot for the love of god change these!!! First I thought it was a browser issue but alas its the same deal on Safari (IOS and OSX), Chrome and IE. So I do what all good user do and call the helpline.

Thus ensued an hour of trying to rectify my problem to no avail, the guy gave me the number for optus/netgear support 1300 731 106 but guess what??........its not in service!!! LOL

So my question is this, is it, or is it not possible to change the device password on my Netgear Cable Router??

If I am to be dissappointed (I suspect I may be) then this is a ridiculous security risk. The guy on the phone was even suprised when I said I wanted to change it (WTF) as he said what if someone else needed support in the house when I was away!!! Sorry but this is security 101 stuff guys, it always gets change preferrably within the first few minutes of going on the air!

HELP ME!!!!

Thanks in advance

PS. I cant find the firmware update option either, please dont tell me thats locked out

Re: WHY CANT I CHANGE THE PASSWORD ON MY CABLE ROUTER?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Dang so much information in the manual and no mention of changing the admin password. Maybe the small line about if you can’t login to your modem you may need to do a reset might give us some false hope. Smiley LOL I’m assuming it’s a CG3000V2?

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/modem-equipment-setup-user-guides-fixed-broadband?reques...

olliebucko

Yes indeed it is. I'm utterly dumbfounded at the complete lack of security. Made me laugh when the guy on the phone said "well if they don't know your wifi password they can't access the router". He was a little taken aback when I reminded him of the 4 open LAN ports on the rear of the device. Seriously though you must be able to change it...right?

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

Actually this is all coming back to me like I have read something about this modem recently. Smiley Very Happy

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/default-password-leaves-tens-of-thousands-of-optus-cable-su...

Edit: This was over a year ago. Good to see things have improved. Smiley Very Happy

olliebucko

No frikking way! 

That was April last year!!!!

come on, this is a joke, do the Optus dudes read this forum? If you do you need to sort this - sharpish

I WANT TO SECURE MY ROUTER WITH A PASSWORD PLEASE.……simples

Yeldarb

Hey just leave it running when you go to bed and I am sure someone else will secure it for you. Smiley LOL

All jokes aside that is piss poor. I wouldn’t even want to let someone use my Wi-Fi in fear of them stuffing around with my settings. I would call support again and ask them what the story is.

olliebucko

Sadly I wasnt left with most confident taste in my mouth after an hour speaking to someone from "support" last night. Even more annoyed that I was given a number to call that was disconnected!!!

Optus dudes - where are you???

Highlighted

Yeldarb

Have you tried the live chat? I actually prefer this method of contact as you can save the correspondence for future reference.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/notices/service-chat

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
26 Kudos