cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
New Contributor
New Contributor

Very slow internet speeds and lots of lag

Hi my internet has been VERY bad recently and only seems to be getting worse.

i'm pretty sure i have an ADSL plan paying $130 a mouth, with expected speeds of 100Mbps down and around 1Mbps upload.

it was working that way since we got the plan until late last year were the speeds greatly droped to around 30Mbps download with very large ping spikes making online gmaing very frustating. The speeds have lowered even futher over the time with no obvious reason. My moderm is quite old but i don't think that is the problem as it was working fine last year. 

i would appreciate some help with this problem, thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Very slow internet speeds and lots of lag

same problem here,on the 30mbps plan and the last week it has been down as low as 4mbps and tops of 7mbps from 7pm onwards.ring the ombudsman tomorrow to see what can be done.not good enough to be charging for a service that we are not recieving

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Same for me here, gradually getting slower and slower. Turn my WiFi off my phone if I want to watch a video someone has sent me and use 4G instead of the home broadband...pushing everyone towards new contracts and straight into NBN when it hits the area maybe?

0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

rang optus today.got through after an hour on hold.got some one who couldnt tell me why it is slow of a nightime.put me through to tech difficulties and got told it would be up to an hour and a half before my call would be answered (if it was answered at all).rang the ombudsman and explained to them so they sent optus an email with my complaint and told them to ring me.if no call before a certain date they will take it further action.suggest people do the same.if they get enough complaints they might do something

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hey @quinn117, it sounds like you may be on HFC as opposed to ADSL if you are on a 100mbps pack. I'm sorry to hear your speeds have been dropping over time. There could be many variants that are affecting this and we would need to run some tests on our end to get a better understanding. Have you tired raising a case with Tech Support? They are available 24/7 on 1300300041 or Live Chat.

If NBN is rolling out in your area, any maintenance on the old network would of ceased which could also cause degradation on the network. Ideally NBN would be completed soon so you are able to make the switch, you can check the progress in your area via their website here.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor
New Contributor

Appalling Service and daylight robbery

A month ago I lost my phone in Perth.  I reported it to the police and made an online insurance claim.  After a few days I was emailed and advised that I needed to call Optus to finalize my claim.  As a shift worker trying to contact a department that is only open Mon. - Fri. til 6pm this is extremely difficult.

In the interim I borrowed a phone from my husband.  This phone was sim locked to a different telco so I bought a new sim and ported my number.  What no one tells you is that by doing this you are effectively terminating your contract with Optus.

As a result I received a bill from Optus for $695 to cover the remainder of the contract (even though my insurance claim had not been finalised).

I contacted Optus on 27th June and arranged to have an extension on the payment.  This extention was to last until 31st July.

So imagine my horror yesterday when I checked my bank account and discovered I was almost $700 worse off.  $700 that I had not had time to plan for.  $700 that was supposed to be in MY account.  $700 that my family of 8 can not just be without on a whim.  HOW DARE YOU.

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.  This IS THEFT and I will be reporting it to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Appalling Service and daylight robbery

Hey @Roisin, I'm sorry to hear you weren't aware that taking your number away from Optus would terminate your contract. The same would occur with any provider, once you port your number out, anything attached to it in the system is cancelled once it leaves the network.

Unfortunately it sounds like there has been a miscommunication in regards to your payment extension also. A payment extension is essentially a note on your account that would prevent someone from the financial services team from suspending your services if payment wasn't made on time, but in this circumstance it would serve no purpose as the number has already left Optus. Your direct debit will always go ahead as listed on the first page of your bill, so it would need to be cancelled completely to avoid the payment going through.

This is a sticky situation because to get the payout fee credited back to your account, the number needs to be brought back to Optus and the cancellation needs to be reversed. From here you can request a refund of anything in credit on the account.

Please feel free to send me a private message with the below information so I can review your account and escalate as necessary.

Full Name:
DOB:
Account Number:
Are You The Primary Account Holder: Yes/No

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos