Searching...

Very slow Broadband speeds in Seven Hills area

FailNet

I live in Seven Hills (2147) & for the past few months I've noticed the same issue a lot of other people seem to be having. Between 5 PM & 1 AM most days my speed drops to a fraction of what it's supposed to be. I just signed up to a 2 year contract of 100Mbps Unlimited Cable (I've been on 30Mbps Unlimited for a few years), but if it continues for much longer i'll be switching back to Telstra.

Tech Support calls are met with the usual response of turning off the modem, checking connections etc. & are a waste of time due to the fact that this is obviously a congestion issue.

These are the speeds I get most days (Friday/Saturday are the worst which I guess can be expected.) 

31/5/15
5:28 PM - 23.67 MB/s D/L. 1.86 MB/s U/L. Ping 10ms
5:56 PM - 17.86 MB/s D/L. 1.24 MB/s U/L. Ping 11ms
6:44 PM - 6.35 MB/s D/L. 1.04 MB/s U/L. Ping 10ms
7:16 PM - 6.12 MB/s D/L. 0.89 MB/s U/L. Ping 9ms
8:24 PM - 3.47MB D/L. 0.86 MB/s U/L. Ping 12ms
9:07 PM - 4.56 MB/s D/L. 1.03 MB/s U/L. Ping 10ms
9:38 PM - 4.37 MB/s D/L. 0.87 MB/s U/L. Ping 11ms
10:36 PM - 3.18 MB/s D/L. 1.09 MB/s U/L. Ping 10ms
11:30 PM - 5.76 MB/s D/L. 0.95 MB/s U/L. Ping 32ms
11:46 PM - 54.27 MB/s D/L. 1.04 MB/s U/L. Ping 11ms
11:56 PM - 84.91 MB/s D/L. 1.00 MB/s U/L. Ping 9ms

As you can see from the results, the speeds I'm getting are not nearly enough to do anything such as stream movies in anything higher than 480p or to play anything online without lagging quite noticibly. While I do work night shift & am often up on my off nights, it's far from ideal for me to have to wait til 12AM most nights before I can stream a 1080p movie. 

So to sum it up, my main concern is if and when the congestion issues will be fixed?

Re: Very slow Broadband speeds in Seven Hills area

Mister_Q

I'm next door at Lalor Park and getting similar results. Normally get ~70Mbps but currently on ~3Mbps. Good thing I have the speed pack ... Smiley Tongue

Pete

Hey guys, really sorry about this. I've just checked and can confirm that we have upgrades scheduled towards the end of July to help alleviate congestion related concerns. When this was reported to faults FailNet, did you provide your mobile number to the faults agent so once upgrades go through, we'll notify you by SMS? Pete

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

AngusSevenHills

Hey Pete,

I was in the same boat and have been contacting the faults dept since June to keep abreast of the congestion issue. The agent has been kind enough to discount me the speedpack I bought on top of my cable package but the time lines for the equipment being installed keep moving. At present there apparently isn't any installation date scheduled.

Do you have any insight into this? I'd rather not have to call every month to negotiate a fair exchange of money for the service.

Cheers,

Angus 

Jax_K

@AngusSevenHills, we all have access to the same info Smiley Sad When you spoke with them did they advise if the equipment had been ordered or ordered and pending install? J

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Highlighted

js-optus

Howdy neighbours! I'm in Crestwood, anyone interested in communicating with me please do a course in smoke signals, the speed is a lot faster.

AngusSevenHills

Hey Jax, 

It was the first time I called in June that I was told that "equipment was delivered and is pending installation" since then the installation date moved from end of July, to end of August to now most recently "No date advised for installation". I had put my number down to be contacted when it would be installed though.

Cheers, 

Angus

Hollie

Hey @AngusSevenHills, there have been some delays on works due to the complexity of the work that needs to be carried out in certain areas. If our tech support team have advised there's no ETR - it means we have no confirmed date but this doesn't mean our techs aren't working on it. As soon as we have any info we'll SMS you. If you'd like to discuss alternate options you can contact our team on 131344. Hollie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
25 Kudos