Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Very Poor service & Poor technical team

Hi, I took Optus home broadband internet. The speed on a broadband is around 5 mbps off peak & it can go as low as 1.7 mbps. When I tried to contact the technical team, it was a night mare. Many times I have wasted more than 40 minutes to speak to some one. Each time, they forget to make notes of my complaint. They take me around the same questions and at the end they can not resolve and so far have not resolved. First they asked me to check the speed which their technician provided. Then, they asked me to check the connection through 198.168.0.1. Then when I got in , they asked me to check the settings or configuration. When I started reading them. They had no clue that option exists. Now they say, they will do some test and they say , they are checking the speed at their end and it is showing 40 mbps and it is the problem of wifi . Wifi modem was given by them just two months ago. To test that, they want me to get some computer with Ethernet cable connection. Now tell me, in the world of smart gadget , how the hell do I find a computer with Ethernet cable connector. Then , when I mentioned about my inability to do that, they claimed and said they will do further test and will get back to me. So far it is been three days. I have not received any call. So, I have decided not to pay my bill for this service.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Re: Very Poor service & Poor technical team

@Dinesh17 As you can appreciate, the issue can occur in many places that you are experience slow speed. What Optus is trying to do is to identify where the problem(s) occurs. Just like saying my car is going slow, it can be anywhere from bad road, damaged engine, wrong gear etc. If it is the wrong gear, then replacing the engine wont fix the problem. 

the simple path is NBN --> Modem --> wire/wifi --> your devices. From your post, Optus tested the NBN --> Modem  path and it can achieve the 40mpbs speed as per your plan. The next step is to test the Modem to wire (lan cable/ethenet) path, thus asking you to connect something physically to it. With the modern smart device enviroment, not everyone have a device with ethernet connection. Have you experience the 5mpbs from day 1 or only recently? what type of NBN connection do you have? Have you tested the wifi with another devices? How many devices connected to the modem? What is your enviroment like, modem placement, wifi neighbourhood, etc? If you haven't done so, hard reset the modem, etc. Please let us know the troubleshooting steps that you have taken on your side. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I have done everything you have suggested except trying something with ethernet.  I have this issue from the day 1. Previously i had NBN through adsl. Recently moved to regular  NBN( that is what they say) i do not know the technical term. 

When I had the adsl, i was getting around 25 mbps, now 5 mbps. Hardly we connect two maximum 3 . When i do the speed test sitting 1 mtr away from the modem , it reads as 5 mbps with out any gadget accessing the internet.  If i move away just three meters from the modem it drops to 3. I got only ipad, sony smart tv one year old & 6 months old mac book. My friends with TPG are getting like 35 - 45 mbps for cheaper price. I did a mistake by signing up with optus. I would never ever suggest it to anyone 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Sorry, I am trying to understand your set up. Have you moved address, NBN technology normal don't change in the same address. 

If you had NBN via the copper telephone line then (it is the fibre to the node FTTN) connection, but if you had broadband ADSL then the max speed is around 21mpbs, kind of like you are living next to the exchange. How is NBN connected to the modem now? via the same copper telephone line, a black Aries NBN modem, etc? 

In terms of Optus vs TPG, it is hard to say without knowing your connection type. If it is the same NBN then the main different is how much bandwidth each ISP have for your area, the modem supplied and the plan cost. Each have their own pros and cons, you can pick the one that suits you best. 

Your Sony tv should have an ethernet connection on the back. You can test out the streaming performance if the cable can reach. I know with my Sony, the wifi isn't great and can't get 1080p via wifi, get perfect speed via ethernet cable though. 

If you still have your old Adsl modem, then plug that into the Lan port of the current modem or even plug that into the line coming into your home and test it's performance. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

I have not moved. It is the same address. Previously optus technician had installed the adsl modem through some optus point in my house. Now when they installed the new black  Sagemcom modem, they installed it in the optus cable point in our lounge.  My TV is too far from the modem. I i can not draw a cable to that. Also , not only the TV , even our ipad, mobile macbook can not stream .

When I spoke to the technical team, they claim - my plan is for 45 mbps also I  should get atleast around 35 mbps.

As you have suggested, i will try the last option you have mentioned like install old modem. 

Thanks anyways 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Im about to get NBN and I am seriously thinking of ditching OPTUS for Aussie broadband. I have NEVER had a good experience with customer support. I strongly suggest you try another provider

0 Kudos