Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor gutrod
Occasional Contributor

Re: Very Poor Internet Speed on ADSL2+ and Sagemcom F@st 3864 Modem

Dear @Esther,

Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted Tech Support (131344) four times already, and they keep sending either an Optus or a Telstra technician to check the fault. Today, a Telstra technician is supposed to come to my place.

I don't understand how the modem syncs at 18 mbps, yet I only get the poor speeds, especially 0.14 last night at 8:00 PM AWST.

See the SpeedTest.net results below from last night and earlier today.

Date ascending                  IP Address Download Upload Latency Server Distance
1/3/2016 11:53 AM AWST 122.111.x.x 1.96 Mb/s 0.66 Mb/s 29 ms Perth < 50 km Share
1/3/2016 11:38 AM AWST 122.111.x.x 4.14 Mb/s 0.67 Mb/s 29 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 8:53 PM AWST 122.111.x.x 1.47 Mb/s 0.70 Mb/s 27 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 8:37 PM AWST 122.111.x.x 2.65 Mb/s 0.68 Mb/s 27 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 8:21 PM AWST 122.111.x.x 2.00 Mb/s 0.66 Mb/s 27 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 8:15 PM AWST 122.109.x.x 2.18 Mb/s 0.69 Mb/s 27 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 8:00 PM AWST 122.109.x.x 0.14 Mb/s 0.26 Mb/s 966 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 7:30 PM AWST 122.109.x.x 1.48 Mb/s 0.52 Mb/s 346 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 7:03 PM AWST 122.109.x.x 3.83 Mb/s 0.56 Mb/s 28 ms Perth < 50 km Share
29/2/2016 6:24 PM AWST 122.109.x.x 2.01 Mb/s 0.60 Mb/s 27 ms Perth < 50 km Share

Any ideas/solutions?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

What's the fault reference number? Happy to have a look 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@Esther

I recieved a text message saying that the fault should now be fixed, but the speed is still not good. See current speeds below.

1/3/2016 5:34 PM AWST 175.38.x.x 1.28 Mb/s 0.41 Mb/s 103 ms Perth < 50 km 

The modem is showing the following DSL sync speeds:

Downstream: 19135 kbps

Upstream: 812 kbps

The reference number is 14945486. 

I have replied to the text message stating that the fault still persists.

Please help!

0 Kudos
New Contributor cruiser
New Contributor

Guess I have made the same mistake moving from a 12.5 yr commitment to another ISP to Optus dropping from 5-6mb link on average to 2.5mb and as low as 0.35mb regularly testing connection speeds. Guess I am having even more fun with an Entertainment bundle I signed up for  needing a 3mb speed I enjoy, NOT, start stop of low res video. Even struggle at times to watch a you tube clip. Not very happy and have also made a number of calls...

How do they sell service with no tests to ensure functionality..

Got my own frustrations and now also have to deal with kids.. Simple their friends even commented they enjoyed coming over accessing good internet. Well no more..

0 Kudos
New Contributor Tobias_lee
New Contributor

Same thing buddy I'm 1113 meters from the exchange & my speed in the arvo & night are somewhere between grass growing & a slug diying. Optus tell me this is normal. Which I say bullshìt. Iv had a mix of optus & telstra techs visit my house 7 times in the last 6 months. 2 modems & a mix of messages from optus telling me this is fûckěd, this is normal & if you don't like it you can pìss off. Iv been with optus for 13 years & should be looked after because of my loyalty. Iv been told its congestion in the optus hardware. They have over loaded the hardware with people connected & therefore fûckěd it for everyone. So instead of caping the limit of people so everyone can enjoy the speeds the money grubbing optus signs you up telling you you will have great speeds & you call to complain & they tell you there's upgrades in your area... The upgrade haven't started but their on paper & no one knows when they will start. I look at it & see an average speed of 1Mbps so 1/20 =0.05 that's 5% of the speed we were told, we should only pay 5% of the bill. 5% of $95= $4.75 per month but good luck getting that. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor rtecall
Occasional Contributor

Hello gutrod, 

I followed all the protocol by calling each day for over 2 weeks and have successfully been able to get out of my contract and my Internet/phone/entertainment. They have been cancelled with no termination fee due to the service provided (both at a customer service level and the speed)

I am in the processes of working with iprimis. A technician will show up within 3 working days of your over the phone sign up and you do not get charged for the equipment, the technician on site visit to setup, or get a bill until after the 1st month of service,. This is setup so that if they can see what line gives you the best speed. It was explained to me they have access to the telstra, optus and their own lines so fingers crossed that out of the 3 I will get my service back that I had prior to optus. 

If this fails I have heard many positive things on the iinet customer service and speed but that they are now owned by TPG. TPG is known for cheaper prices b/c of the number of customer service reps and the setup process but everyone still on iinet are still getting the customer service via iinet at the moment. 

I wish you the best of luck and have heard some optus lines have been sorted but it was not the case for myself. 

Regards,

C

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for your replies.

Glad to see that this is not an isolated issue.

I keep getting the poor speeds in the 5:00 PM to midnights range.

I never heard back from @Esther who offered to look into this issue.

I also replied to the text message they sent me on Tuesday, telling them that the issue still exists, and haven't heard back from anybody at Optus.

I do hope that as @rtecall mentioned, the Optus lines are fixed, otherwise I'll be cancelling my contract and switching to a different ISP.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor freefireant
Occasional Contributor

I see you are in Perth.

There's your problem right there.

Optus have confirmed to me that they have 2x 300Gbps Pipes servicing the whole of Perth W.A.

And .. more inportantly. Both these backbone pipes are full and are running at over 100% capacity.

I can confirm this is the case as I am now with iinet and my internet is now working just fine.

Optus under provision it's as simple as that.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Tania
RetiredModerator

Hi gutrod

Sorry to hear of your frustration 😞

By what you have provided and described it is likely a congestion issue.

I apologise if you have not been responded to previously but if you would like to send me your details in a private message (username, account name and DOB) I would be happy to have a look for you and see if I can provide any further information to help.

While I do that you can check out this helpful Blog About Congestion which offers some information and tips on how to maximise your available bandwidth.

@cruiser @Tobias_lee - Same applies, if you would like me to have a look and see if there is anything I can find out for you then please provide me your details via personal message.

@rtecall @freefireant - Sorry to hear you have both moved on but wish you all the best with your new providers and thank you for your input.

Thanks

0 Kudos
New Contributor Vivasvaan
New Contributor

Exactly same thing with me. First line fault then new modem and now congestion. Speed around 1~2mbps

0 Kudos