Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor gutrod
Occasional Contributor

Very Poor Internet Speed on ADSL2+ and Sagemcom F@st 3864 Modem

Hi,

Signed up with Optus $95 Entertainment Bundle (Unlimited Data plus FetchTV) in early January and have experienced bad internet speeds.

I was provided a Sagemcom F@st 3864 ADSL2+ modem that lasted only one week. It had to be replaced by Optus and received a new one (same model) a couple of weeks later.

When calling Optus Customer Support, I was on hold for 1 hour the first time and 1.5 hours the second time.

They have sent the Optus technician who identified the issue as Telstra's, Optus then sent the Telstra technician who claims to have fixed the issue, and the bad speeds still persists, especially in the afternoons and evenings/ Speed tests go from 0.5 megabits to 1.5 megabits.

The Sagemcom F@st 3864 modem's web interface shows downstream speed of 17096 kbps, yet I'm stuck with 0 - 1.5 mbps speeds.

I have even tried with a different modem (Netgear N300 model DGN2200v4) and still no joy.

I have also tried different wireless channels and have connected my laptop directly to the ethernet ports and still get the really bad speeds.

I'm wondering if anybody else has experienced similar issues?

Seriously considering switching to Telstra!

Please let me know.

19 Replies
Occasional Contributor rtecall
Occasional Contributor

Re: Very Poor Internet Speed on ADSL2+ and Sagemcom F@st 3864 Modem

I have the same issue....

2nd wireless router and nothing has been resolved. 

I am 1.2 kilometers from the exchange and have been told it is a congestion issue today and a server issue last night.  I am waiting on a manager to contact me as I just found out the online support person last night never opened a ticket to technical support as I requested and as he stated he had.

I have no idea what to do as I have to work from home a lot  - huge sad face. 

I saw this online last night and believe they have been lied about the speed for ages. If a little fine like $51,000 is all they get I am very sure the price per month per customer well exceeds that... 

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/12/17/optus-pays-51000-fine-over-nbn-speed-lie

Contributor ChronicCrippler
Contributor

Hi

Did you try leaving the other modems on for a few hours,

I ask because we tried swapping out the Optus one for our personal choosen models,

Based on reviews and tests online for best Australian modems,

And found when left over night ours suddenly got the 14-16 meg DL speeds,

We have been using our modem since then,

because the optus one only got us 1-5 meg DL speeds

CC

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

@rtecall - Thanks for your reply. I was told by the Optus tech on the phone that I was also 1 km from the exchange and that I should be getting close 20 mbps, but that's not the case...

@ChronicCrippler - Thanks for your reply. I left the Netgear N300 modem on all night and still got the same poor speeds.

The problem seems to be network congestion as I'm getting 10-12 mbps in the mornings, around 8-10 mbps at lunch time, then it drops considerably 0.5-1.5 mbps at night, which is when I actually need network speed the most!

I've checked the Optus Network Status page - http://www.optus.com.au/about/network/service-status - and can't find any outages in my area.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Darkatoms
New Contributor

I swapped from Telstra a week a go. Having the same issue. With Telstra I was getting 16mbs now I'm lucky to get 5mbps. And its not a steady stream. I will give them a week to fix it and if they don't they will be canceling my contract.

I need this for work.

They told me it was an Australia wide issue. Wonder if it only effective people on the Telstra network? (Can you tell us Optus)

If I have any big issues with Optus I will be straight of to the ombudsmen.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

OK. It looks like Optus has joined more people over the Telstra network than there gateway can handle. Speeds are good from midnight till 4am. No one is on at this time. They won't fix this soon. That requires new hardware. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor rtecall
Occasional Contributor

I have been told as of friday night that there is cogitation and that they will have it resolved by monday morning. 

My speed at night is worse then in the day. From 5pm - 3AM are the worse but the times out side that are up and down and I can say of all the tests I have run over the period of the last two weeks I have not yet received  6mps and 10mps down & 1 mbs up on 2 occasions.  80% of the time I am at 1.xx - 2.xx mbps and 0.68 - 0.75 mbps

I have called each day for the entire past week and have not had any luck with getting someone out here let alone to call me back or follow up.  

another post had the below that I will be following up on next week as I am exhausted with customer service and the experience as a whole.

Thank you: lamfedup

"This will get you out of your contract.
Complain to optus then go to the TIO. - Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman free call from landlines 1800 062 058"

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Earlier today I was getting 16mbs it has just dropped to 5mbs and not stable. I have had enough and want to go back to Telstra. I have email Optus complains to cancel my contract. Next step will be the Ombudsman. You can contact the Ombudsman on line www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

With Telstra I would sit between 16 to 18mbs all day.

I have also registered on www.speedtest.net and do regular test and it is keeps track of time and speeds.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all for your replies. It looks like I'm not alone in this poor speed issue.

I called Optus Tech support, again, and they told me that the problem is outside the house and that they will send a Telstra technician to address the issue.

This will be the third technician (one from Optus and two from Telstra) sent to my place in less that 2 months.

I wonder if I can cancel the contract now and switch to Telstra, as I signed up for the 24 month contract, given that Optus is not delivering the the service I need?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Esther
RetiredModerator

Appreciate the situation isn't ideal gutrod and apologise for any troubles caused there! If you discuss this with us on 131344 we can discuss your individual options! 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.