Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

VPN on Optusnet.com.au

How do you setup optusnet to accept a VPN?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: VPN on Optusnet.com.au

I might be missing something. Do you have a VPN client and the associated app(s) on your device(s)? 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The VPN is on my computer. I use the 5G network on Optus and have an Optusnet.com.au account. I use a Nokia modem supplied to me by Optus, I am not talking about mobile phones, wifi internet.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

ok cool, and when you activate the VPN are you receiving an error? If so, could you provide the wording? 

If not, can you provide the steps you're taking and where the problem occurs 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. No error message other than failure to connect to the Web server (can't remember the wording in red) and dropped out of any internet connections. I had the same problem with Gmail previously. I think it gets the idea someone is hacking my account because of different ip addresses coming up.

Colin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Oh my apologies, I think I misunderstood previously.

So you have no issue with the VPN switching on/off, it's just that when it's on your optusnet emails stop working? Are you connecting via another country or just somewhere in Aus when the VPN is on? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

No, to try and overcome the situation I have it set to connect to Melbourne as it is in the same state. Possibly the problem may be associated with it trying to keep within the 5G network and there are not enough towers as yet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The towers, or lack of, wouldn't have anything to do with this one I don't think. 

If you haven't already, could you try using the Optus webmail client via the below link and see if that works. I'm making the assumption you're using a mail client like outlook or similar but if you aren't let me know

https://webmail.optusnet.com.au/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

The reason why I'm suggesting this is when using a mail client like outlook you input your inbound and outbound servers which you'll normally input optus settings which is fine when you're on an Optus connection at home but if you left the house and connected to say a friends TPG connection, you'd no longer be able to send emails because the outbound Optus settings would conflict with the TPG connection.

I believe the VPN connection is making the mail client think you're no longer on an Optus connection hence the errors. This doesn't occur when you use the webmail option so it'll prove it one way or another

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes I connected to Webmail with your link, it will let me do that the first or even second time, then not like it. I am sure you are on the right track though. It just appears to be their security as with Gmail, watching your ip address.

0 Kudos