Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor Sport
Occasional Contributor

Using Optus Sagecom Modem as a server

I have an Optus Sagecom modem/router and am trying to connect a hard drive to it so that it can be accessed on my network.

The port is a USB C port (Why? I am not technical but this seems very odd - no external hard drives connect via USB C - well none of mine anyway)

So I trott off down to the local office works and buy a "converter" 

Plug it in and plug in the USB drive.

No result. No access. No connection. Just nothing. No means of getting assistance. No manual. Nothing. And dont bother to contact Optus they have no interest in assisting you apparently its your fault if the thing doesnt work. My last spat with Optus ended up with the TIO and is stil not resolved.

This is the Optus that I am now accustomed to: Mass market. Try and avoid dealing with issues as its cheaper to lose a few customers than actually provide help. So like the Vodaphone of a few years ago.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Using Optus Sagecom Modem as a server

Crazy frustrating I know.

Just having a play now and I've got it working as follows:

* Log into the router (5366TN)  and scroll down to the USB section on the home page.

* Plug in USB HDD (I'm using a USB stick but following should be the same).

* You should see the USB HDD appear in the USB section. If it does not just refresh the page.

* In USB section click on the HDD. This will give you basic device info.

* Click on the "Mass Storage" tab.

* You should now see the SMB url for that HDD.

Note that I tested it from my Android phone with ES File Explorer and it auto-detected the device and I could open the files no problems.

Good Luck!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the help.

It works fine for a while (as long as I am actually using it) but soon returns a message directory not found.

So, then I have to go through the log in again in order to get it to work again. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Now get a message:  Windows cannot access \\19x.xxx.01

Check the spelkling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve the network problems click Diagnose. 

The file that I was moving from elsewhere to the new drive stopped moving. With a message: Item not found.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

There is definitely something flaky about the USB implementation. I popped the same stick I tested with last time and it would not recognise, but I unplugged it and tried again later ad it recognises it.

I have it currently plugged in (and recognised) ,  I'll leave it like that for about 30 minutes without touching it/connecting to the router and see if it forgets it.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

My USB stick has been inserted now for about 3 hours without me connecting to the router at all during that time. I was able to connect OK, and the router page shows it connected.

Because you are using a HDD, I'm wondering if maybe the HDD is going to sleep. That should of course not happen while you are actively using it.

I have no Idea why you are getting that error during copying.

0 Kudos