To Whom It May Concern.
I hope posting my experience with this Optus broadband service here will help future Optus customers not to waste their time and efforts getting into this unethical service, and also to get some attention from higher level Optus customer care (if it even exists). This broadband service is a joke, and the technical support is unethical and full of lies from the bottom to manager level.
1. Problem with activating the service: After signing up for the service, I have received the modem by post after 10 days and instruction to get connected, but it did not work. I have contacted and spent 30mins waiting, and 1 hour on the phone to activate the internet account but it was unsuccessful. I have mentioned several times that I was switching from another ISP and the modem said authentication errors. I have reset my passwords 3 times and been able to login the Optus email, so the account was working. The tech rep said they required a tech visit to fix and did not need anyone to be at home, and that will take 3 days to fix. Three days later, I received a sms saying the issue has been resolved. Still did not work, called tech support, wasted 1 more hour doing useless line test, reset password, and another tech visit was booked, and they said please wait 3 days and prepare to take leave to be at home.
2. Unethical and useless first level support: After another 3 days, the tech visited, and told me that the issue is because another ISP used Telstra line, instead of Optus line. He switched the connection in the communication room and it activated after 10mins. I went to Speedtest.net and the download speed is 1Mbps and upload speed is 0.1Mbps, sync time ~40s. Given my speed with previous ISP is 10 times of that (also ADSL2+), sync time ~20s, I requested the tech to have a look if any problem with the Optus line and received an answer “this is not my job. I only can activate your line. You have to call support to book for another tech visit”. I told him that I had to take a day off work for this and can’t take another day (in the next 3-7 days). He said nothing he could do and asked me to sign into a form on his tablet (zoom in only the rectangular signature box). I zoomed out and the form said only sign if you are satisfied with the service. I refused to sign and the technician SIGNED himself in front of me in the form! This is utterly unethical and rude, and I have never ever experienced anything like this. I have called customer support and chat with online reps to refer this matter the day after. The tech manager called me to apology but trying to say the tech only can activate the line, and CAN NOT provide any other supports, you have to book another time and stay at home. I asked why the tech can’t call someone else to do the further necessary step while I was at home on that day. The manager said it would be expensive for them so they can’t do that. So basically, Optus would prefer to waste customer time to save cost.
3. Useless online tech support: I have contacted online support several times regarding the slow speed after activation, wasted couples of hours waiting, explaining the issue again and again, doing useless line test. The same message I had from the online support was: at the distance of 2.5km from exchange, around 4Mbps download and 0.5Mbps is acceptable. I would like to let you know that the 4Mbps you read is maximum attainable speed on paper but this Optus line is be really congested and they might use software to control the throughput. On speedtest.net, I saw the profile is very unstable with lots of phasic activity so the real speed is ranging from 0.1Mbps to 3Mbps. With the previous ISP, the profile is stable and I can stream youtube 1080p videos from 2 devices simultaneously without buffering, and with this Optus line, youtube automatically switched to 240p quality while only 1 device is playing. Facetime and Skype is in the worst quality ever. No need to talk about technical contents, the reality speaks for itself how bad the service was.
The problem is definitely not from the distance but Optus hardware and software. Another tech visit was booked for the next 7 days. I took another day off work, and the tech told me that with the distance, I should get at least 8Mpbs for downstream with STABLE connection, which was what I got from another ISP. He told me the problem comes from the Telstra exchange and nothing he could do without contacting Telstra to fix between themselves. He left after 10mins of support and promised me the issue will be fixed in the next 2 days max and I can get at least 8Mbps downstream with stable connection. I believed him.
4. The tech manager who lied: After 2 days, I received a call from a case manager at 3pm. He said NOTHING IS WRONG with the connection according to some graphs he received from the tech who visited. The slow speed is because of the distance of 2.5km from exchange! I asked why what he told me is so different with what the tech who visited said and with my experience with my previous ISP. He said “I have had a word with the technician, he provided you wrong information”. I told him I believe he himself provided me wrong information according to my experience and also in my area, my neighbors are getting around 8Mbps and he can check ADSL map for that right away. He then asked me to do a useless line test at 3pm while I was at work. I said I can’t do that and he said he will call back at 6pm when I come home. I came home at 5.30pm on Friday after cancelling my other appointment, and waited, 6.30pm no call, I tried to contact chat rep as I did not have his number. The chat rep said nothing has been scheduled and when I insisted that manager to call me as he told me to be at home at 6pm on Friday for his call. At 6.50pm, he called and said sorry for a late call. Saying SORRY is too easy for Optus right? Because of no consequences so Optus employees could do anything to their customers, ranging from falsifying their signatures in front of them, to not showing up for appointments and telling lies? I asked that manager 2 questions: a) If the Telstra exchange issue could be fixed? Answer is No. b) If the anything could be fixed as dialup speed is not acceptable? Answer is No.
5. No direct number to call complaint department: After many lengthy conversion with phone call, chat online, this Yes Crowd is pointed to me as the place whether Optus could handle customer relation. I hope it is also not another lie.
In short, I have wasted so many hours contacting customer support, 2 days off work for 2 tech visits (around 10-15mins each) and been given wrong information many times. I will lodge this case together with the name of the unethical tech support and manager to the TIO as I don’t believe they could treat customers the way I have experienced.
Dear Optus customer and technical support teams,
Just to follow up, I have called my PREVIOUS ISP customer support to reconnect on Saturday (luckily I have not cancelled their service). A tech visit was booked after 15mins of waiting on their line, for 7-9am on Monday (today) so that I can go to work. At 7.30am, the PREVIOUS ISP tech came and reconnected my service and my downstream is 7.66Mbps and upstream is 0.87Mbps, sync = 31ms (also ADSL2+ service), without any further optimisation (connected wirelessly via my wireless router). The profile is STABLE with a flat line on speedtest.net. Whereas, the Optus speed is ~4.8Mbps downstream (max attainable speed) reading on their modem but the real speed is around 0.1-2Mbps, super unstable profile suggesting software to control bandwidth is activated. With this speed, don't dream to watch youtube, as reading newspaper requires buffering. I have documented that.
So, what the Optus tehcnical manager told me the slow speed was because of a distance of 2.5km from exchange is WRONG! The Optus tech who visited my place is CORRECT that the speed of 8Mbps is norm for that distance. Too bad, he has to listened to "a few words" from his supervisor as he was honest to his customer. Perhaps, they can't do anything because they have over-provided their service and the line was too congested.
FYI, the reason I switched to Optus broadband is because of their phone bundle so they discount $20/month if I am using Optus mobile phone. I pay $80-$20 = $60/month, which is equivalent to other ISPs. But with the dialup speed of 0.1-2Mbps for downstream, it is unacceptable and their technical support is super unethical and such as big time waster. I agreed that the ADSL speed depends on many factors, but it should not reduce that much (70-80%) since you connected directly to their brand new modem using cable. Please tell your cusomter directly without wasting their time and providing wrong information.
Optus, your useless broadband service is a joke, you should make it completely FREE as it is worse than free public internet, which costs nothing and no one has to waste their time listening to lies from your unethical techincal support!
Thanks for taking the time in letting us know about your experience @dmask and it's a shame to hear you've left us to reconnect with your old provider. This definitely wasn't how we wanted things to end however, we want to ensure the right thing is done by you.
We do want you to have a service that you're happy with and I'm sorry we weren't able to provide this to you. I'll ensure your feedback is passed on from the agents you were dealing with will be sent through. If there's anything we can do moving forward please let us know.
I hope you have a safe and fun Christmas, all the best.
Thanks for following up on this.
Can you or anyone in the customer relation group look into my billing and update that? I believed I won't have to pay a setup fee (I have refused to sign the form when the tech finished the crappy setup, and he signed himself on the customer form), and 2 months of service (service was activated on 7/11, and cancelled on 28/11, the delay in cancellation was due to a lie from support that the issues can be fixed). Given the amounts of my time and efforts, the unethical support (fasifying my signature and telling lies) I have received from you guys, the conpensation which I have not yet asked you guys to pay me is at least 10 times of what in the bills.
Happy to provide any further information if you need and hopefully it is not a waste of time writing to you here.
We'd need to have a moderator look at the account notes to see what needs to be actioned. We may have to refer you to another team but shoot us a private message with your account number, address and DOB so we can check it out.
I have just chatted to a staff member who knows nothing about the problems we are having with fetch but referred me to the technical department. This is a major concern as here is a web site filled with complaints about fetch and service yet no one knows about it. Whats the point in spending funds on marketing and selling products then have a product that doesn't seem to work. How does my smart TV, Foxtel and computer all wotk off the Wi-Fi yet fetch can't connect to it?
Best option for me is to go back to my supplier and dump it off my package. There are plenty of other suppliers that offer services that work.
Hi hogeshizke - with your Fetch service, are you having trouble connecting via Ethernet or Wi-Fi? If you've already got a number of devices connected, this may also cause some issues with the Fetch being able to connect. Gen