Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Usage on mobile broadband keeps changing

Hi, 

I have installed the Optus App to keep track of my usage for my mobile broadband. Thing is it keeps changing! And no I don’t mean as I use it, it goes up. 

Day 1 : 6 Gig

Day 2 : Reset to zero and started from zero again, and at the end of the day was back to 5.4 Gig (I used it all day) 

Day 3 : 12 Gig

Day 4 : it reset to zero again and said 12 MB - And went to 2 Gig by the end of the day.

Day 5 : (today) shows 2.9 Gig

I thought it must be a glitch in the app, each time so I checked the My Account usage, and it mirrored the apps usage.

This doesn’t help me keep track of it so I make sure I don’t go over. This is a new service, not that I think that should matter. 

It is very confusing, this is my households broadband, and I need to watch it to make sure we don’t go over. 

Will at somepoint it suddenly remember all the usage and jump to like 50 Gig ?????? 

Any ideas what I do here? 

Thanks

Daff 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Usage on mobile broadband keeps changing

Is the plan new too? If so keep an eye on it and hopefully it should settle down soon.

Are you making use of the free data streaming (netflix etc.)?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter, 

Yes the plan is new. The plan is a SIM only plan, I have a second hand optus modem from my brother who switched to NBN. And I am a new customer too. So everything, except the modem, is all brand new. 🙂 

My understanding is that SIM only plans don’t include the free data streaming. Which is a shame, as Netflix is what we use the most of our data for. 

So I should just let it all settle for a little longer. Do you know if there is a way to turn off the auto 1Gig extra for $10 once the limit is reached? My concern is going over, and ending up with a big bill. That would not be good at all. 😉 

Thanks Daff 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

You should be able to see your current month usage history in MYACCOUNT? Does the past few days now show a steady increase as you'd expect. As long as you're happy you're still well under your limits then waiting a few more days shouldn't hurt.

Unfortunately Optus do not offer any way to stop the 1Gb top ups (and I've posted many times here on how shameful I think this practice is). 

All I can suggest is if you can get any measure of data downloaded on the modem device itself as well so you can check what it thinks you've done locally.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Peter, 

Once again you have solved my issue. Thanks for your suggestion, I looked for and found a companion app for my modem. One that’s not connected to Optus, but the Huawei. It tells me according to its data I have used 16Gig, which is more in line with my expectations. So I will use this to monitor my usage, and that way there will be no surprises. 

I will watch the Optus app and My Account to see what happens. Be interesting. 

Thank You Peter.

Daff