Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Us Optus modem for other NBN provider

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to use my old Optus modem (see pictures below) for another NBN provider (possibly Tangerine, it doesn't require VLAN tagging feature)? The NBN connection type is FTTP. Is it that actually I would need a router instead of a modem? Thank you.

IMG_7752.JPG

IMG_7753.JPG

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Us Optus modem for other NBN provider

@ashleyyau34 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to use my old Optus modem (see pictures below) for another NBN provider

Yes, but it depends on the ISP.

(possibly Tangerine, it doesn't require VLAN tagging feature)?...The NBN connection type is FTTP

That's good.

The only potential issue is that Tangerine uses PPPoE method of authentication (Optus uses IPoE/DHCP) and I don't know if that router has those fields or whether or not they are editable. 

Note that you won't be able to use any other phone (VoIP ) services with the phone ports of that device.

I would need a router instead of a modem?

That device is both a modem & a router.

Note that since that image shows your default passwords you should make sure you change them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply @YetAnotherAcc 

So I should look into editing the method of authentication of my device to PPPoE?

And change my password if I use this device. Thanks for reminding me 🙂 I wan't aware of it at all.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@ashleyyau34 wrote:

So I should look into editing the method of authentication of my device to PPPoE?

I just had a look at my 3864v3 HP and I expect the setting to be very similar to your 3864v3 OP. The  PPPoE setting are available (see red box) but only in admin mode. You would also need to un-tick the Connecting to Optus box when using another ISP's userneme/password.

As Optus does not provide you with the admin password you will need to search the Whirlpool forum so find out how to get that password. The method is very dependent on exactly which model and firmware version you have. Good luck.

pppoe.png

And change my password if I use this device. Thanks for reminding me 🙂 I wan't aware of it at all.

Its always best to change default passwords of any router you use, regardless of whether or not you accidentally showed the password online.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I will give it a try. Thank you so much for your help!

0 Kudos