Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor tangowhisky37
Occasional Contributor

Re: Upload speed terrible

Totally off Topic...:)

Technically speaking, yes you "might" be able isolate the computer from electrical surges due to storms using wireless but you still have your computer plugged up to the mains...:). So unless you have a circuit breaker with overload protection you can still get zapped...:). 

Cheers,

Trevor

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I think the power companies put a lot more effort into suppressing voltage surges, or whole neighourhoods would get all their TVs and computers fried every few years.

Phone lines in rural areas are the worst, because they expose you to 6km of risk. Cable should be better, due to being distributed from a local node.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Frustrated_Cust
New Contributor

I have the same issue with upload speed.  I had three technican here in the last 6 weeks trying to fix it. One of them finally admitted that the network is at fault.  Today, tech support still think there is not a problem.  It is 1:44 am and I am trying to upload 2 Excel files total less than 1 Mb total!! I am the sucker who pays $89.95/month for cable broadband.  Today, I wanted Optus to transfer me to mobile broad band but they say I will have to pay for the $199 modem plus $90/month and I also loose my landline calls. 

Speed test showing I have intermittent 0.17Mb upload.

Looks like I will be looking for different mobile broadband provider as NBN will not be here until another year. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Minimus
Occasional Contributor

Thankfully my issues cleared up. Initially the tech support and a visiting technician said there was nothing wrong with the line, modem etc, and that the problem must be to do with my computer. So I was suffering terribly slow upload and download speeds, and it was driving me crazy. However, after a few weeks the network speed magically increased so that I now have consistent downloads at 20 - 30 mps and uploads at about 1.5 mps which is more than adequate for my needs. So something changed and presumably it had nothing to do with my computer. Very mysterious.

On a related matter, I received a phone call a few days ago saying that NBN was now available in my area and that I should change over to it. But the speeds and data offered appear to be more than expensive than what I’m (now) getting with OPTUS. Will have to decide what to do soon, I guess.

Maybe yours will magically improve too???!!!

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Sounds like NBN has taken away the congestion in your area, so now they will force you onto a congested NBN. Only joking, it won't be that congested.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Chris2fer
New Contributor

I have a 100 mbps plan and the upload speed is barely 1mbps - what a joke.  Shame on you optus

0 Kudos
Moderator Kartika

Hi @Chris2fer, sorry to hear about your internet upload speed issue. Can you confirm which connection type (NBN or Cable) you have with us?

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos