cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Minimus
Occasional Contributor

Upload speed terrible

Recently I've been getting terrible download and upload speeds on my 30 Mbps plan. New modem installed yesterday, and download speeds are great, near 30 Mbps. But upload speeds are very low. A 2.69 MB file takes about 2 min 15 sec to upload. Optus's network speed checker Ookla doesn't reflect this slow speed, and shows about 1.5 Mbps upload speed (plan maximum of 2 Mbps); whereas my PC network speed app shows upload speeds like 0.05 Mbps and 0.15 Mbps, which is in line with the actual upload speeds I'm getting. If I turn the modem off and on again, for about half a minute I get good upload speed and the 2.69 MB file uploads in about 15 seconds, and this speed is reflected in the PC's network speed test, which gives about 1.5 Mbps. But then the upload speed drops right back to something totally frustrating.

Optus customer support told me that everything's ok from their point of view with the modem, online speeds, etc. He said it must be something to do with my computer. I've got no idea what could be causing the slow upload - it used to be fine. Any ideas out there?

Tags (4)
16 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Upload speed terrible

Ookla doesn't belong to Optus.

1.5mbs upload is pretty slow. Which tests are being done by wifi, and what have you done to rule that out as a problem?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

True, Optus doesn't own Ookla, but that's the test that Optus support got me to run when I rang them, and the test that the Optus technician ran when he came and installed the new modem.

1.5 mbps seems to be the maximum upload speed now attainable (although it's supposed to be 2 mbps under my plan). I'd be very happy with 1.5 mbps upload if I could get it, but what I'm getting is typically 1/10 of that speed - which is totally frustrating when you need to do quite a few uploads.

The speeds are not related to wifi, as I've been checking with the ethernet cable from the modem going straight into the computer - no wi-fi router involved.

So, still striking the same issue - if I turn modem off and on, uploads are fast for a little while, around 1.5 mbps, then they plummet drastically after that. I got this plan in 2014 and until a month or so ago it ran very well, with upload speeds often near 2 mbps.  Any other ideas for what might be causing this problem?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Is this the NBN50 plan using VDSL?  47Mbps Down, 18Mbps Up

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadband/home-broadband/nbn-speed-packs

Sorry, I can't find any plan that would do 30mbs down and 2mbs up. ADSL2+ tops out at 24mbs.

If running through a phone line, it tends to depend on the condition of your phone line and whether some corrosion or storm fault has wrecked it up. Also some faulty line filter. Sometimes the wires can be a little bit short circuited or earthed.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

A quick check whether it's your PC, could be to put Ookla app on a phone and try it by wifi.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Did that, and yes, phone has good upload speed, Ookla showing 2.3 mbps. So something to do with the computer. What might be causing the slow upload (which is much slower than the Ookla test on the PC indicates)? What would I have to check?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

It's tending to indicate that the ethernet port on your computer is borke. (or cable)

It may pep up with a usb wifi adapter ac1200 or ac600

Do you have any other laptops around?

You could install a new ethernet card and the new drivers might also pep something up.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I have an Optus cable plan. It's simply called "Basics Bundle 30 mbps", $70 per month. It has unlimited data, and a 2 mbps upload speed (according to Optus Support, although the inital 24 month contract had 200 GB data per month and was called the "$70 Basics bundle"). It includes fixed phone line and unlimited national calls. I signed up for this in 2014 and it's been fantastically good, until fairly recently when I started to get really bad download and upload speeds. The new modem has solved the poor download speeds, but now a problem with very poor effective upload speeds - although the Ookla speed test says that the upload speeds are good. So it might be a problem with my computer, but I don't know what that would be.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If lightning hits copper, you get destruction of modems and ports that are connected to them. If the surge is bad enough it blows parts off the computer motherboard.

Wifi is a good way to isolate a computer from storms. I wish I had it when I was on dialup modem.

Occasional Contributor

Decided to scrap the ethernet connection to the computer and just use wi-fi. The upload speeds are now consistently much faster, up to 1.5 mbps; download speed is reduced, but still quite fast enough for my needs. Thanks for advice, 10^10GB.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors