Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Federico
New Contributor
New Contributor

Upload speed close to 0

Hello Crowd,

lately I've been experiencing dramatic slowness in my uploads, I've done a speedtest and this is the outcome

ping: 20ms
download: 18.38 Mbps
upload: 0.63 Mbps

a 50mb file took approx 2h to upload, while monitoring the speed is goes fast for a few seconds then drops to 0 for a while, then fast than 0 and so on.

I thought perhaps my router was playing up a bit via wifi, tried cable no difference, replaced the router with a more powerful one, details here:
https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/d-link--ac1600-python-dual-band-adsl2vdsl2-nbn-ready-modem-router--ds...

As soon as you hit upload everything else freezes, as if it's takign the whole bandwith, even messages don't go out at the same time.
I can't send pictures through chats from home as they fail to upload, much better results are accomplished with my phone's connection which is on optus 4g.

Any idea or suggestion would be appreciated, I work a lot with media material for my business and not being able to upload anything through my network is a big issue.

6 Replies
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Upload speed close to 0

You haven't mentioned what type of connection you have?

Using the whole "its affecting my business" argument on a consumer plan is moot. If you need it for business, buy a business service please.

Now what connection type are you?

Is it always this slow doing speed tests?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Federico
New Contributor
New Contributor

The plan is adsl 2+

The business being affected is a valid argument because part of the business is taken care from home (upload stream).

Even if it was only for personal use the issue would still be the same, the service offered is not anymore up to the standards moot or not.

Speed tests are all consistent, I've tried different ones with very similar results.

Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Okay, so you're on ADSL2...

what modem are you using?

can you please post the modem stats? (signal to noise, sync speed, attenuation etc)

Do you use a home phone? If you do, is that line noisy or clear?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Federico
New Contributor
New Contributor

the modem in use is  D-Link DSL-2888A

SNR Margin (0.1 db) 162/132
Attenuation (0.1 db) 31/68
Output Power (0.1 dbm( 99/204
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 964/24020
Rate (Kbps) 812/22510

we do not have a phone, the boudle came with landline but never used it
Jeneral__Pain
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Your signal to noise is high, even if it’s not impacting on your download it is messing with upstream.

Plug a phone in anyway and see if you get any noise?

also remove any DSL filters or central splitters too...

Federico
New Contributor
New Contributor

removed the filter, same results unfortunately.

I don't have a phone to try here so I'll need to get one for the test.

download speed as you said is not as bad, it hits the 2 mbs every now and then. I've re-tested upload, 6.6mb file 1min 12 seconds, that's about 90kbs compared to 0.6mb in the speedtest

Top Contributors