Searching...
Accepted Solution

Upgrading ADSL2+ to cable

daedalus

When I moved to my present Brisbane address (5 years ago) I was told by Optus that cable wasn't available, and I have been using the ADSL2 connection which Optus provided. However internet speeds are slow (5Mbps download and 0.4Mbps upload).
A techie visiting to service the printer told me that in fact there's already a cable at my address, and it should be easy for Optus to connect my service to it. Optus howerver has advised me (by phone) that a cable connection wasn't possible. They didn't send a techie to check if cable was available. Is it worth chasing them up to see if the service can be improved?

Re: Upgrading ADSL2+ to cable

Paddylee

Would need to see if its Telstra or Optus Cable to start with.

As both cables are now owned by NBN you may find difficulty having anything done - depends if NBN is in progress in your area.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

daedalus

Paddylee. Thanks for that. Useful information. daedalus

Dan_C

Happy to perform a couple of checks for you @daedalus.

There are certain eligibility criteria that helps us determine whether your property is serviceable for Optus Cable.

- We're unable to service a block with 3 or more MDU'S (multi dwelling unit).

- The drop cable must not pass through a neighbour’s address boundary point

- We must have spare ports available on the tap

- The drop cable must not extend beyond 50 meters from your closest power pole. 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

daedalus

Thanks for that Dan.

The property satisfies some of your eligibility criteria.

- There is only one dwelling on the block

- The drop cable (I am fairly sure) doesn't pass through any neighbour's property

- I don't understand the 'spare ports on the tap' requirement

- There are no power poles in Tamarang Street; power and telecom are underground. The nearest power pole would be around the corner, maybe 300 metres away.

So there may be a problem. However NBN is working in the area, and may be able to make use of the cable when the eventually finish their installation. They are already several years behind their original projection for the street, so I've no idea when that might happen!

Solution

Dan_C

Hmm, we use overhead/arial hybrid fibre coaxial drop cables to service our Optus HFC customers. 

As @Paddylee has mentioned, there's every possibility that it's Telstra HFC. 

The tap just refers to the connection point on the power pole. 

Can you send your address through to → http://yesopt.us/pmdan. I'll perform a couple of checks Smiley Happy 

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
81 Kudos
77 Kudos
71 Kudos
41 Kudos
30 Kudos