Searching...
Accepted Solution

Upgrade Netgear CG3000 cable modem?

colwellis

Hi There,

I still have an old Netgear CG3000 modem that came years ago with my cable plan, what upgrade options do you guys offer please?

Also am I able to buy my own fast modem router that may not be an officially supplied unit and will it work with my cable service?

Thanks!

Solution

Re: Upgrade Netgear CG3000 cable modem?

SamSam

I think they are now providing the version 2 of the same modem. They might have an even newer one that I haven't heard of though.

You can't BYO modem on cable unfortunately but you can bridge the Optus supplied modem to your own router if you want and will achieve almost the same thing

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own

Re: Upgrade Netgear CG3000v2 cable modem?

colwellis

Thanks for clarifying that I have to use an Optus modem and a third party modem will not work.

I already bridge to a Linksys AC wireless router. I was looking for a more modern DOCSIS 3.0 modem with more channels etc to see if it just made that little bit more difference to get me closer to the 100Mbps package I pay for. I might look at a cheap second hand CM500v that has 16 downstream & 4 upstream that is a little ahead of the CG3000v2.

What do you think?

Solution

petergdownload

I believe Optus will send out a free replacement modem on request if you've been a customer for a while now.

Note when you get on the NBN eventually you will likely be able to use any modem. The one drawback is if you want to have a landline with the Optus NBN service as that must use the Optus modem for voice.

Peter Gillespie

colwellis

Thanks Peter, I'll give that a shot.

No NBN in Sydney's Northern Beaches suburbs like mine (Narraweena) till 2020 lol. In reality I half expect we'll all be driving hover cars and living on the moon by the time NBN Co manage the amazing feat of laying some simple cable and that the modem options at that point will need to be revisited and landlines may not exist, except in museums =)

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

Helpful as always @petergdownload @SamSam

We're now offering a two modem solution for our Optus Cable customers. That's our Netgear CM500v & Sagemcom F@st 3864v3 with A.C.

It sounds like you've been with us for a while now @colwellis. I'm happy to discuss some options with you. 

Can you fill out the following template and send that through via PM? 

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:

DOB:
Mobile number:

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

colwellis

@Dan_CDone, thanks.

Dan_C

I've replied back mate, we'll chat there @colwellis

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Thanks @Dan_C,

Just to confirm, should I be offering free modem upgrades to long time customers?  i.e. is that actually the Optus policy or is there usually a charge associated?

Peter Gillespie

Rus40

Hi Dan,

I am also having problems with my old Optus supplied CG3000v2. I am an Optus customer since 2010.

I used to be able to print with wifi from my Ipad through the cg3000v2 to my non airprint epson xp-100 printer plugged into a usb port on my win 7 computer which is network cabled to the cg3000v2. Some time ago that printing ability stopped working. The Ipad says it is talking to the printer but eventually says the printer is off line, which it is not. I did a workaround by emailing print jobs to myself and printing them from Win 7. I have tried a usb wifi n dongle plugged into the computer and the Ipad will print a poor quality print through to the Epson XP-100.  As I have some time I thought I might try to fix the problem but I cannot find a solution. I have also tried plugging the printer into the usb port on the cg3000 but windows is unable to find it there. Can you make any suggestions that may help.

Rus40

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
28 Kudos