Searching...
Accepted Solution

Update 4G Plans given new cheaper 5G Pricing

exceladdict

As a subscriber paying $80 for 500gb on 4G, I'm a little frustrated to see a faster 5G service being advertised at $70 for unlimited data. 

I think there needs to be a repricing of the 500gb plan or alternatively make it unlimited data to be fair to existing customers.

Re: Update 4G Plans given new cheaper 5G Pricing

ae00711

get real mate - there is very VERY limited 5G in QLD I think, but generally speaking, 5G isn't available. From any telco, anywhere, in Australia.

ae00711

there isn't even any 5G phones you can buy through any telco in Australia.
you're very dillusional / misinformed

exceladdict

Google "Optus 5g home broadband"

It is rolling out this year and I'm surprised they didn't update existing plans. 

Highlighted
Solution

ae00711

yeah, operative words there is 'rolling out', read: not yet available, but will be in the future

petergdownload

Its good to get the 5G discussion rolling. FWIW the current Optus 5G plans are more a promotional exercise (Hey look we're first!). In practical terms the $70 plans are limited to a few suburbs and even them limited to a few trial homes (not phones). Optus should really be paying customers to do their field testing for them (which I suppose the $20 or so discount is in a way). Its really still hugely experimental and I'm not sure those 'lucky' 5G customers will be jumping for joy all that long.

So $70 is by no way indicative of what real plans will be priced at in the future. 

Also 5G actually comes with a lot of downsides in the short term (next 1-2 years). 4G plans are actually likely to remain superior to them for quite a while yet for reasons including:

1) 5G handsets will cost $300 more than identical 4G handsets

2) In practical terms download speeds on a 4G phone will feel the same as on a 5G phone (unless you're doing a speed test)

3) 4G is actually getting faster and faster meanwhile

4) 4G already has towers everywhere

5) 5G has real issues penetrating buildings and going long distances (from a tower) 

6) 5G phone will be significantly bigger than 4G equivilents as 5G just needs more to work (including 3 antennas and an extra chip)

7)  5G in Australia will have a special specification for the next three years before adopting the global specification.

8) 5G has no phones yet and will likely only be flagship for a few years.

Basically the Telcos have spent up big in 5G which is even today a very first gen experience (buggy, expensive, soon obsolete, etc.) 5G will likely sell at a premium to 4G services IMO (+$20 or so) but don't expect 4G prices to drop any time soon - FWIW they're currently heavily discounted at Optus who are selling way too much 4G data at great prices right now (at a loss really). Expect 4G prices to go up, not down over the next 12 months.

Peter Gillespie

ae00711

here, no need to get excited just yet:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/12/dont-buy-a-5g-smartphone-at-least-not-for-a-while/

FYI: ars technica is one of the most respected tech sites on the internet

Paddylee

RE: 7)  5G in Australia will have a special specification for the next three years before adopting the global specification.

There is no Australian special specification, its the standard 3gpp releases.

The Fixed variant of 5g is already signed for use and the mobile spec is expected mid year.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!

petergdownload

@Paddylee

Possibly a terminology issue. My understanding is 5G will be deployed everywhere else as mmWave. Australia has lobbied for a variant (presumably official?) to have slower speeds and longer reach. We'll be using this for ~3 years before adopting 'proper' 5G. Are you saying phones bought now will be able to automatically switch then? In the US (which has the mmWave everywhere) it appears various carious are adopting different frequencies for some reason and phones bought on one carrier are once again not expected to be able to switch to another. Not sure if this is just old fashioned hone locking or a hardware limitation.

Peter Gillespie

Paddylee

5g can use the same bands as 4g (even at the same time with right technology and equipment)

Mm band is also part of the spec but not very useful for use in mobiles due to coverage. 

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip? Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Post a Reply
Top Contributors
72 Kudos
50 Kudos
40 Kudos
30 Kudos
16 Kudos