Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
mradickson
New Contributor
New Contributor

Unlock DNS settings for Sagemcom gateway F@ST 5366 LTE

I have a Sagemcom gateway F@ST 5366 LTE modem (hardware version FAST5366LTE-A, serial number N7201216D000441) supplied by Optus, loaded with the latest software/firmware - version SG4Y1L003031.  The DNS server IP addresses are locked and cannot be altered.  When is this going to be fixed?  

6 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Unlock DNS settings for Sagemcom gateway F@ST 5366 LTE

Optus are really dragging their feet on that one. They've been "working" on the TN's version of it for over a year now.

0 Kudos
Tuong_YC

Morning @mradickson, that's certainly not great to hear. Just so we can assist in the best possible way, if you could please send through your service details over to our 24/7 Messenger Teams on the Optus App - we will run some checks and get back to you with some more information 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
Emily35
New Contributor
New Contributor

How is sending service details going to help Optus with supplying an unlocked firmware to the router thus enabling all advanced users (like myself) the ability to change basic settings?

For example, I have three computers connected via LAN, each with static IP's enabled with my preferred DNS provider's servers listed.

My mobile phone however, doesn't give me the option to setup a static IP and DNS server over WiFi.

Other options I'd like to change include the Routers username. A scan of my IP will easily reveal I'm an Optus customer and a quick google will show that the Optus provided router uses optus for it's username. Now all one needs to do is work out the password.

Allowing me to change that to a custom username adds a second layer of security.

Optus DOES care about my network security right?

All Optus needs to do is to provide a firmware will all the settings unlocked. Because at the end of the contract period, we OWN the device having PAID for it.

How would Optus like it if we sold them an AM/FM radio, but tuned it to Triple J and locked out all means to change the station?

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Emily35 wrote:

How is sending service details going to help Optus with supplying an unlocked firmware to the router thus enabling all advanced users (like myself) the ability to change basic settings?

It doesn't, but that's the staffs default response to anything they don't understand.

My mobile phone however, doesn't give me the option to setup a static IP and DNS server over WiFi.

That's strange. I would have thought being able to change those would be standard these days on all phones.

Optus DOES care about my network security right?

They may care about security but they don't seem to think hard about it. For example, their routers come with fridge magnets with WiFi username/passwords. It would have been fine if they had guest WiFi and it was the guest WiFi details on the magnet, but it standard WiFi details. And to make matters worse, the WiFi password is the same as the "optus" user password, they they are encouraging people to plaster their routers admin password on their fridge.

Because at the end of the contract period, we OWN the device having PAID for it.

Actually, you own the router the moment you get it, even if its still being paid off or your are still on contract.

0 Kudos
AndH
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yea Optus products are pretty crap - they cripple their stuff to the point where its practically unusable.

If you are on NBN, depending on your setup, you may be able to plug in another router that is NBN compatible to the modem box supplied by NBN and do all the security stuff you want on that one.

I had to do that as the Optus router I received was rubbish. Hardly any customisation and the things you could customise like port forwarding doesn't work correctly.

Good luck

0 Kudos
uigfv
New Contributor
New Contributor

absolutely, not even being able to change DNS or Hostname is ridiculous, they made me pay $100 after we changed provider to own a white brick!

WTF Optus? .... why do you do this?
Top Contributors