Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Underground Cable installation

Hello

I currently have and ADSL connection and want to get cable. The reason why i don't have cable is that i wasn't sure if underground cable installation was possible. Currently we have a white telecommunications conduit that is at least 32mm in diameter, this contains the line that's providing the ADSL and landline connection to the house this was done at least 15 years ago. As there is already a wire in the conduit the draw wire was already used to install this wire so there is no draw wire in the conduit at the moment. My question is do we have to get a new conduit for the cable installation or can we use this one. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Underground Cable installation

Cable is available in your street or it isn't. How it is connected to your house (above or underground) is up to the cable provider. If you don't have cable in your street then you can't get cable. With the NBN arriving you will have high speed options available soon. 

If you want to PM me your address I can tell you the options at your house.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I can get cable i checked at the Optus website the only problem is that it needs to be underground. I checked on Optus support and they gave requirements for underground cable installation so it seems that it's possible if the requirements are met however it doesn't mention anything about having a pre existing telecommications conduit and if you can use it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

So when is the NBN arriving in your area and what tech is it using?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The planned availability for the NBN is Jan-Jun 2019 and the Tecnology is HFC. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I just did some reading and it seems that maybe it would be better to wait for the NBN even though it's doesn't come until 2019. I still have the question when it eventually come time to install the cable will they be able to use the existing underground telecommunications conduit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

They (either Optus or NBNCo) will decide whether to use it or not when you order the service (you don't get a say). 

If you install Optus cable then regardless of whether it uses your conduit or comes from elsewhere, when the NBN arrives they will not use the Optus cable in the conduit and will install a new connection to the Telstra cable (maybe using the conduit, maybe not)

If you are on a OPtus cable contract then when the NBN arrives, Optus will shut down its cable service so you will be able to exit the contract without penalty and choose to go with Optus NBN or any other RSP NBN. So if you want cable then either sign the contract and exit this way, or you can also pay $200 upfront and just go month to month.

NB, for me the biggest guarantee of performance on any internet platfor at the moment is flexability. Go M2M if you can.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the help that pretty much answered all the questions i had.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

I'm glad @petergdownload was able to offer up some helpful advice @MN Spain 🙂 If you were still adamant to go ahead with a underground installation, it might be worth speaking with a contractor to confirm whether your current layout meets Optus Cable Underground installation requirements.

There's a useful link to a PDF underground install guide here → http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/underground-cable-installation-fixed-phone-broadband?req....

If you have any other questions, please shout out.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos