Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highway1981
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Unable to port forward to view CCTV remotely

Good Morning, 

I have recently connected my CCTV to the internet and I have been able to view the camera on my phone whilst I am connected to the WIFI, however I have been unable to connect outside the LAN. I have completed the port forwarding, however I haven't had any luck. 

I have checked my port and I keep getting informed that it is closed despite it being open. 

I have a Sagemcom 5366 TN modem. 

Thanks for any assistance. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Unable to port forward to view CCTV remotely

A port scanner will report a false closed port if there is no software behind the port that *wants* to respond to the probe. It will only respond if its the type of data it is expecting and ignore everything else.

Are you sure you are opening all necessary ports/port types?
0 Kudos
Highway1981
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was advised to run it through port 80. I have made it a static IP address. I have tried other port numbers as well and I have no luck with them either

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Have you tried 8080 (or similay)?
Optus blocks some ports (they don't disclose which ones though) at the network level and 80 is one of them.
0 Kudos
Highway1981
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have tried 8001 but I will give that ago as well. Thank you
0 Kudos
Highway1981
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have tried that port and still no luck. Open to any other idea or suggestions
0 Kudos
Aman_YC

Hi @  HIGHWAY1981  - Thanks for reaching out to us here and really sorry that this is not working.

The troubleshooting that you have done so far is what we normally advise but if the issue is still not resolve then you are best to speak with our Technical Support team via the messaging service to assist you further. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@Highway1981 wrote:

however I have been unable to connect outside the LAN.

There is a known issue with the 5366's that has affected external access to CCTV but it mostly manifests itself when trying to access the CCTV from within the LAN using you public IP address. (not a local 192.xxx.xx.xxx). As you mentioned the above I assumed you tried to connect to CCTV via 4G or at a different premises I did not mention it earlier.

The specific issue with the 5366's is the lack of NAT Loopback/hairpinning support. Search the forum "CCTV" to see other peoples experiences.

Highway1981
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yeah I have tried that as well. Thanks for you assistance
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Are you sure you forwarded all ports needed for your specific CCTV software? Its rarely just one port that needs to be forwarded. 

Here is one specific example, but its very detailed and looks like a very good over-all CCTV setup guide.