Searching...

Re: Unable to connect to playstatioin network. PS4 and AC800S 5Ghz

maximo101

Does the AC800S have any Ethernet ports or does it have to be plugged into usb with Asus router. I'm deciding whether to get this modem or the b525, either way I'll run it in bridge mode to my Asus router.

OpenDMc

Ac800s has only USB, and it’s a combo charge and connect port, so you may wanna check if the router you get will charge while tethered.

Timfz99

I don't have line of sight to the tower, so I bought a starfish mimo antenna to amp the signal. On average, I'm getting 25mbps down and 2mps up. Which is about double my old adsl2 speed. I'm OK with it for now. At my parents house, with tower 1km away in LOS, I can get about 90mbps and 5mbps without antenna.

Timfz99

The modem does not need the battery to run when it's plugged in, either to a router or a power outlet.

maximo101

I'm about 1km from my tower and get 30 - 45 Mbp/s. Ac800s plugged into Asus RT-AC68U router with usb tether, ip passthrough and no dchp. Wired connection to my ps4 and it gets nat2.

OpenDMc

I got a replacement Ac800s, they sent mine off for testing and said it was faulty. The replacement has the same issue with the 5ghz, as in it doesn’t work. I suspect this is just how these units are... but I hooked up both PS4s to the 2.4 and played some Blackout duos with the missus - was peachy!

ookla gave a max run of ~120/40 19ms, which is amazing - most runs were in the 50-70/20-30 20-30ms range, which is still waaaaay better than my dsl (11/0.6 35ms). 

So im router hunting now, since my Nighthawk X4S doesn’t do USB modems. Thinking the at-88u... but still researching, the x4s has amazing 5ghz wifi so I need something as good... or maybe just as a bridge... 

OpenDMc

So have just been using the sc800s over 2.4ghz for the PS4s, Bo4 Blackout, For Honor and various streaming apps. Whether it’s pluged in to power or running on battery, it restarts itself at random intervals - happened twice last night and so far 4 or 5 times today. 

Does this happen when tethered?

I’ve decided to get RoG Gt-ac5300, it’s overkill but gets the second best 5ghz performance (next to the Nighthawk X4s, which is amazing but no 4g data sharing).... but I’m seeing lots of posts about random restarts with theses modems, have you had this issue?

OpenDMc

Picked my Gt-ac5300, will do some tests and post results over the weekend

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
29 Kudos