cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Timfz99
Occasional Contributor

Unable to connect to playstatioin network. PS4 and AC800S 5Ghz

Hi, I'm having trouble connecting to playstation network from my ps4. Playstation is connected to the ac800s 4G modem. Everything works if I connect it to the 2.4ghz wifi, but if it's connected to 5ghz wifi, I can not connect to playstation network. I'm use both bands on my laptop and mobile and they both work on those devices so I don't know what's special about playstaion that it doesn't work on the 5ghz band. Please advise.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unable to connect to playstatioin network. PS4 and AC800S 5Ghz

The only thing that comes to mind is that 2.4ghz has a longer range than 5ghz so if you are getting lag maybe it's the distance from the device?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply but the modem is right next to the ps. I just found out that my Samsung Tv doesn't work with the 5ghz band either, no internet after connecting to the hotspot. On 2.4ghz band it's ok. I have swapped the bands between main wifi and secondary wifi but result was the same. My computers and mobiles are not affected. I will try to reset the modem and report back after work today.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

That sounds like a plan. I have to reboot my modem (not the same as your modem) when switching to 5ghz or using both bands together. Any reason you don't want to stick with 2.4ghz if its working ok?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I live in a packed apartment building, there are countless 2.4g aps around that I think 5g band should give me less interference than the 2.4g. That and also I just want to figure out why it's not working.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor OpenDMc
Occasional Contributor

Ahoy, I just bought the AC800s yesterday and had the same trouble - PS4 Pro connects to both 2.4 and 5ghz bands, both obtain IP Adress and Internet Connection pass but everything else fails (connect to PSN, NAT Type, Download Speed, Upload Speed).

I reset everything multiple times between setting changes, switched UPNP off and on on the AC800s etc with no change at all.

However connecting the PS4 Pro to my iPhone 8 hotspot and ADSL2+ both work.

Connecting my phone to the AC800s also works and get slightly less up/down on ookla than just using the phone (wifi lag I guess).

So I'm thinking this is a modem (settings?) problem, not a network problem?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

That's exactly what happened to me last night. The wifi on this unit is really lackluster, can't even get a full signal from 5 metres away. I might just buy a router that does usb tether and use this little thing in bridge mode only.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yeah, I’m thinking along the same lines, but already have a pretty good router (nighthawk x4s), thankfully I bought the ac800s outright; so I’m just going to take it back today. I’ve got it working for nearly 10 mins over 6-7 hours of testing! Took it in yesterday and they gave me a new SIM card to try out, no joy there either (it was a very, very long shot imo). 

So im going to try and hunt down the highest category (speed) 4g modem with an Ethernet port I can find and hook it in to my existing setup 🤞

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I bought an Asus ac68u router yesterday and hooked it up with ac800s. Then I disabled wifi on ac800s and just use wifi on the router. There might be ways to fix the 5g wifi on ac800s without using another device but I just couldn't be bothered with it.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

How’s the speed? Down / Up / ping?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors