Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor BriMc
Occasional Contributor

Unable to connect own modem

I recently joined Optus (Telstra) DSL from Iinet. I tried the supplied Sagecom modem, it wasn't very good so I wanted to go back to my TP-Link TD-W8980 modem as it worked great before.

For the last week or so I've tried several times to connect without any success. I can log onto to the modem page (192.168.1.1) and enter my @optusnet.com.au user name and password, but my modem still fails to connect.

I've connected wirelessly and via LAN PC, same result. I even tried a brand new modem (Archer D20).

When I called customer service (again) yesterday, they said it wasn't there problem as the Sagecom modem was working ok.

I am at a loss here.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Occasional Contributor TheBaconson2
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unable to connect own modem

There are many settings besides just user name and password.

If this modem was configured for another provider previously, things like your DNS servers and maybe even authentifycation protocals will be different.

You will have to get your ISP supplied modem and copy down the settings in it, and put them into your other modem.

DNS settings would be a good place to start looking.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi 

You can use your own modem but if you have an NBN connection and require a home phone you have use the Sagemcom.

There is away round the problem and that is to bridge the modem. Have a look at this link and do a little research: 

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/NBN/Different-Modem-for-FTTN-NBN/m-p/285140#M7849

If you don't need a home phone have at look at this for your modem settings: 

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/687303

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

How do I go about copying the settings on the modem?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

I don't have an NBN connection, just DSL supplied by Telstra.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi 

The problem is you can't get to all the settings on the Sagemcom as Optus limits what you are able to access. You will need to find the settings from other sources such as the Whirlpool link.

Dave

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The Optus links in the whirlpool article are all dead.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Do an internet search 'Optus modem settings'. As I said you will need to do a little research.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes, will do. I guess I shouldn't have taken the Optus sales team members cheery "yes, you can use your own modem no problem" speech at face value before I signed up. 😡

Would something like this work?

I just dug in to this one this morning out of frustration. Complete steps should be below:
Open the router home page (e.g. http://192.168.1.1)
Click "Advanced Settings" on the bottom left menu. This should take you to the "Sagecom" settings screen.
On the left menu select "Management" followed by "Access Control".
Right click on the whitespace between the Username/Password fields and the "Apply" button and select "View Frame Source" (this is in Chrome so it might be called something different for firefox etc.)
Around lines 10-15 you should see passwords for various accounts. Copy the one in "pwdAdmin"
in the address bar, browse to http://192.168.1.1/main.html?loginuser=0 (where 192.168.1.1 is the IP of your router)
use admin as the username and use the password from pwdAdmin
DNS settings are under "Advanced Settings" and then "DNS".
Considering there is even a warning about being a "proficient" user before messing with these settings, I'm surprised how much Optus Corp seems to want to keep this quiet. I can only asume that the moderators have been told not to give it away.

0 Kudos
Crowd Champion Davelew
Crowd Champion

Hi

If you want to use your TP link try the settings on this link:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2394216

Dave

0 Kudos