cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor Herr_Keuner
Occasional Contributor

Unable to change DNS setting on Netgear CG3000v2

I keep getting drop outs when playing Spotify over my Sonos hifi system. I contacted Sonos and they when they ran some checks, they advised that when the Sonos system requests information from the DNS, for some unknown reason it is unable to acquire the requested information and so Spotify drops out or fails to play. They suggested I change the DNS settings on the router to Google DNS (i.e. 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 or 1.1.1.1). Optus installed a Netgear CG3000v2 modem/router earlier this year, and I can't seem to find a way to change the DNS settings.

One webpage I found suggested that I log into my router via www.routerlogin.com, which I managed to do but then the display in this app ("Netgear Genie") on the "BASIC" tab did not have the option for changing the DNS as had been described on the webpage.

I contacted the tech team at Optus to ask for instructions on how to change the DNS settings and after an extensive run around was eventually told this had nothing to do with Optus and they could put me through to a 3rd party who could guide me through the process for a fee.

But in another thread from 2017 that I found in this forum, it was stated that when they encountered a similar problem and approached Netgear, they were told that all the Netgear CG3000v2 modem/routers supplied to Optus had been customised and differed from the usual Netgear configurations and settings, and he would have to approach the ISP provider (i.e. Optus) for a firmware update to reinstate the option for changing DNS settings.

If this is true, then I fail to understand why Optus would direct me to contract a third party to provide a service that cannot in fact be rendered because of in-built settings specified by Optus.

Can anyone confirm whether there is a way to change the DNS settings on my modem/router? If not, should I just replacing it with another modem/router that does allow me to change DNS settings? Or would that just cause me problems with Optus services?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unable to change DNS setting on Netgear CG3000v2

No I don't believe its possible unless they updated the firmware in recent times however there is no mention of this happening in the thread below. From what I understand replacing the modem is the only option.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/CG3000V2-DNS-Option-Missing/td-p/192792

Occasional Contributor Herr_Keuner
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Yeldarb. Guess that's what I'll have to do.

Still very disappointed with the run around I had with Optus technician on the phone. Neither he nor his supervisor were aware that the DNS settings can't be changed because Optus had them customised. Said the problem had nothing to do with Optus and offered to direct me to a 3rd party who for a fee could give me instructions on how to change the settings. I wonder whether Optus would have refunded the fee when it couldn't be done because of their customised settings?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes it is disappointing and I wrote in that other thread what I thought was the reasons behind it. If they dumb down their equipment then there is less they have to support.

Top Contributors