Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Mobile Outage Northern NSW has now been resolved 2PM AEDT
New Contributor Namby
New Contributor

These sites still blocked after 5 months

It's been like 5 months since the "extreme circumstances" that made Optus "temporarily" block a bunch of sites like 4chan, yet I still can't access them on 4G (I'm only with Optus for mobile). What possible security risk could they actually pose? I just want to read up on entertainment stuff on the go, but they have to engage in this corporate censorship that's equatable to China's Great Firewall. I'm extremely disappointed in them.

2 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: These sites still blocked after 5 months

To use your "colorful description", this was at the request of the government not because "Optus chose to engage in corporate sensorship". Sadly, these sites often engage in conduct that warranted the restriction.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
New Contributor Namby
New Contributor

Re: These sites still blocked after 5 months

"at the request of the government"

That just makes me even angrier. I know New Zealand forced most of their ISPs to put in extremely unnecessary censorship, but here too?

At least I know Optus isn't fully responsible for this, though.

Treating all of 4chan like it's /pol/ is not smart.

0 Kudos