cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

"Once I reconnected the nbn box, it was almost instantly back to my nbn internet, and it was seamless with no internet loss."

My brand new Optus Ultra WiFi modem reboots each time it flicks across from the 4G backup over to the NBN.

Normally I would just plug the NBN directly into my pfSense firewall/router but given the 4G backup SIM card strictly works only in the Ultra modem, plus it is the only device that can get my fixed phone service working, I am kinda out of options 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Dear Optus, I have been sent a new modem F@ST 53366 TN and a 4g modem back up sim but cannot see were the SIM card goes?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@vansell The SIM card should have been pre-inserted for you.

If not then the SIM slot is on the rear of the modem, between the DSL and USB ports.  It should be labeled as "SIM"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@72pac  A firmware update was pushed out to my modem a few nights ago and surprise surprise it has locked things down even more...

I will say though that they did improve some things with the wifi, introduced band steering.  While my primary wifi is Ubiquiti equipment I have the wifi on the modem enabled for testing.  It is junk compared to the Ubiquiti gear but then again I paid a lot more money for that stuff too.

That said it does give me the full 100Mbits via ethernet, and provides the 4G backup and my home phone so while it is true that it's something else to go wrong, it does seem to work and not bottleneck anything, so I'm gonna shut up to some extent lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @vansell, please refer to this → page if you need further assistance.

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hello @vansell and @Kartika.

The F5366TN is the non-4G black NBN modem. The 4G NBN modem is the white F5366LTE (they look almost the same but the 4G one is wider and has a different LED display to show 4G signal strength).

You were either sent the sim in error or the wrong modem was sent. If you were expecting the 4G failover modem, you will ned to contact Optus
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have just this week received a 5366LTE WiFi router that is the subject of this thread. Overall it is working very well.

I've just spend a few hours trying to get a simple question answered. Which should be in the User Manual for this product, but as shown in the first postings in this thread, there isn't one.

How do the buttons on the front panel work? The "WiFi" and the "WPS" ones?

So you're thinking that's obvious, and why would it need to be documented, right? Not everyone has experience with these things, and a quick introduction might help. They wouldn't need to be documented if they worked as expected, and they sort-of don't.

I expect to be able to disable WiFi by pressing the WiFi button. Click the button, nothing happens. So maybe I have to press for some minimum time for it to work? 1 second, nothing. 2 seconds and that light goes off, together with all the others. it has rebooted! Is "long press on WiFi" some kind or reset control?

It came back with WiFi off, and the WiFi button wouldn't restore it. I had to go into the Web-based control panel and enable the WiFi bands from there. That shouldn't have happened!

While looking at the Router I opened the white door on the back. There are two WiFi Aerial connectors under there, "Main" and "DIV" (Diversity). There's nothing anywhere mentioning these. Can the WiFi range be increased by adding external aerials?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I've got the details of this on another thread, but a summary here might help others.

It wouldn't establish the 4G Backup service, no matter what. I gave it an hour to connect and it wouldn't.

Long story short, Optus shipped it with a SIM that wasn't activated. I used the "Chat" to connect to Optus Tech Support, supplied the SIM number (from the writing on the SIM) and it was working in a few minutes.

This could affect everyone who has received one of these recently.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Tom_nickname 

The Wi-Fi buttons and WPS functions should work like you have described your expectation of its behaviour.  I can't help you on that one.

The 2 SMA Antenna connectors on the back are for an LTE MiMo antenna.  'Main' is the connector to use if you have a SiSo (single cable/connector) antenna, but you are much better off with a 2 connector/cable MiMo unit.  If you do need to look into getting an antenna make sure it supports a frequency range from 700MHz - 2700MHz (all of Optus' 4G radio bands are within this range).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

The wifi buttons are fixed in the latest firmware that should get pushed out to your modem in the coming days. Mine were broken too when I first got the modem but when the firmware got pushed out to it, they now work as intended
0 Kudos