cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

@Indian wrote:
If the 4g back up modem has to operate due to outage etc am I still able to stream Fetch via wifi???

It officially states "Fetch will be supported on a best effort basis", so yes its supposed to work, but potentially may not work, or not work well/reliably.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@Indian Did a quick test, Fetch works on 4G backup, but not well as hinted by @YetAnotherAcc . Alot of buffering and stops, so if you really need to us Fetch during an outage, then drop the resolution down to 480i to have a more enjoyable viewing. Saying that, I tested with the 4G at 1 bar, getting about 2Mbps, alot of buffering, and 3 bars, 12Mbps very watchable at 720p resolution.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I really am no expert.  IT is not my thing at all.  I get as involved as I have to every few years sorting out basic issues such as new router / printer / whatever at home, but here goes:

5 people here and anything real important is hard wired anyway.  With that said I know 3 people have something streaming on either their phone / laptop / tablet and possibly more than one thing going.......These things will not be hard wired.  The TV is also on and it's streaming Netflix 4K ( I know enough that it is 4K).

Just looking at a speed test using my phone approx 16 metres away from the router (through some walls incl. kitchen area)  I am getting 51 down and 18.4 up.  This does not vary very much.

It would be nice if I could claim bragging rights as to how much better was available when I speak with people in other countries who get way more allowance, but I doubt I would pay a penny more as it does all I care about.  Similarly wifi 6 would be nice but doubt I would care away from the badge in my circumstances.  One son here plays games a fair bit when here and no one has complained about things slowing (well Ok a thing or two but looking at forums that's nothing to do with anything other than those things and it's seldom edge case for us).

I just have the basic mixed tech wires to the house (copper from telegraph pole to house).

I get zero complaints from anyone here and I very much did when the ADSL service was being run down before we could connect this way (near Sydney).

I am fine with everything even if our very best here is hardly anything to shout about when talking to people elsewhere (some other countries).  For us it's plenty.

Hope that helps and if not it's all I have:)

0 Kudos