cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

The Speed Pack 5 & 6 are only available for Fibre to the Premises customers @SillyGogo. If you're on an NBN Cable connection, some other providers may offer the Speed Pack 5 for certain households.

You can read up more on our NBN Speed Packs page.

In regard to the Ultra WiFi Modem, this is only supported on our new plans and if the modem was supplied directly by us, as it needs to be activated on your account.

If you wanted to get the Ultra WiFi modem on our new plans, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. The team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@SillyGogo wrote:

Finally got my hand on the ultra wifi modem from some dodgy site. I am still on the old plan will the 4G backup sim be active when it synch up to my account?

Good question. My understanding is that the SIM is bound to the original owner of the Ultra, and is part of their NBN service. I don't think you can just transfer the SIM to your service, or at least not unless you ore on one of their current $75+ plans (not the old $70+ plans).

Haven't updated to the latest firmware

What firmware version are you on?

Not much information about which AC this modem is

I derived the AC number from the speeds listed on the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz cards on the main router page. What speeds do you have listed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@George_YC Thank you for the clarifications, will Optus be offering the speed pack 5 & 6 on HFC anytime soon? 

I am happy with my current plan cost and speed, thus purchased the Ultra Wifi modem for testing and to see how the 4G backup stacks up. Saying that was happy with 14.4 speed back in then, it is all relative though.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@YetAnotherAcc I believe you are right with the 4G sim linked to the previous owner. It is currently active. I haven't dive into too much nor want to update the firmware as it will call home to synch with my Optus account instead of the previous owner. I will eventually synch up after testing with the 4G backup features. Kinda having a gap year at my parent's expense then come home to face the music later. 

About the AC speed, I am not too worry about the internal network speed, was replying to another member's post. For me, there are no need for high speed internal transfer on wifi devices. Speed critical applications and devices are all wired, eg video streamer, home theather player, NAS etc. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I don't believe we would be offering it anytime soon @SillyGogo. It's only a limited amount of NBN HFC households that can get the new Speed Pack 5 & 6, I believe that's why we aren't offering it for them. Hopefully that changes soon though, I'm on NBN HFC myself and I would be keen to get on the Speed Pack 5, Speed Pack 6 would be amazing as well!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@SillyGogo wrote:

nor want to update the firmware as it will call home to synch with my Optus account instead of the previous owner.

We don't know if firmware update only happen when then the modem is connected over fixed wire. There is nothing stopping the updates coming through 4G if Optus want to allow that.

As far as I know, the current ultra version is SG4Y1L001019. What do you have?

About the AC speed, I am not too worry about the internal network speed, was replying to another member's post. 

Fair enough. I'm still interested in what speeds the ultra has though. Can you provide them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@YetAnotherAcc 

2.4GHz: 450Mbit/s 

5GHz: 2200Mbit/s

Hardware: FAST5366LTE-A

Software: SG4Y1L001019

Bootloader Ver: 0.76.2-sec

Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@George_YC Yes, would be good to test out Speed pack 5 or 6 but I am in no hurry. Maybe one day when we get a 4K projector/TV. Hopefully, we will get full fiber to the area and 1Gbs are the standard. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

Here are some wifi speed(Mbps):

2.4Ghz: 107, 37.3; 79.4, 28.8.

5Ghz: 107, 38; 102, 37.5.

Band Steering: 51, 3.9; 60.6, 12.7 .

In the advanced section for Band steering, it only have 802.11n and g , not sure what happened to ac. The signal also fluctuates and not as stable. Not sure what is happening there. I am also surprise that I can get the full 100Mbps with 2.4Ghz, usually can only get around 40Mbps on 2.4Ghz.  

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I am just getting NBN. If the 4g back up modem has to operate due to outage etc am I still able to stream Fetch via wifi??? or does the streaming stop until fixed line available. Many thanks
0 Kudos