cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

@Tuong_YC  Thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

However, this does not answer my question.

I'm asking about the WIFI speeds and not the NBN speeds. I understand how NBN speeds work.

However, WIFI speeds of a modem/router are independent of the NBN speeds and affects the speeds at which the devices within your network (or home) can communicate with each other.

For example, I have a NAS server at home and a number of devices connect to it over the WIFI network. So, it's important for me to know the WIFI speeds of this device as it would affect how fast the network inside my home is.

For example, the current modem/router I have, a TP-LINK Archer VR900 is rated as ACnumber hidden, meaning WIFI speeds up to 600mbps on 2.4Ghz and 1300mbps on 5Ghz. I understand these are theoretical numbers, but it gives a measure of the capabilities of the router.

Hope this makes sense.

I spent around 2 hours chatting with the support team trying to find this out. After being transferred to around 5 different departments or experts, they all keep telling me about the NBN speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @GehanR,   We do offer Ultra Fast speed packs that have an average 250Mbps  downloads (while connected using Ethernet). You can check the available details of this  modem here → Click here 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@GehanR 

The non LTE version appears to be AC2650 (450 + 2200) , so I expect the newer LTE version to be at least that.

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you @YetAnotherAcc! That's exactly what I was after!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Just got one and the 4g service light does not come on at all even when wan is disconnected.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Not great to hear that you are still having some troubles with your modem @orchards. If you can reach out to us via our Facebook or Twitter pages, we can have this looked at and escalated further for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

That happened to me too - the 4G Backup not working.

See my previous post from a month ago, on "23-08-2020 10:15 PM"

The manual and all the information says it SHOULD work. Out of the box. Before the NBN is there, even. Mine wouldn't, under any circumstances.

The problem seems to bes that Optus are shipping these things with the SIMs UNREGISTERED.

I didn't know that. I used the "Optus Chat" and the service guy recognised the problem, said he'd be able to help me, but DIDN'T say what the problem was. After providing sufficient details (including the number on the SIM card), he did something and it started working.

I suspect this is the case for all of these modems, at least in the last month or more.

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@GehanR Not much information about which AC this modem is, you can do some network benchmark tools https://www.raymond.cc/blog/network-benchmark-test-your-network-speed/

to find out the actually speed in your environment(number of devices, wall, neighbours, usage etc). It is an 4x4 ac, Saying that, how is the router behaving on your network? Are the file access and streaming acceptable speed and quality, thats what more important. 

What are your network demands? Is it business or high speed critical? If so then hard wire your network and get a business grade router, I won't rely on this router to do my network routing for those situation. If it for general music and movie sharing on the nas then check the quality of the stream in your environment. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

@Aman_YC @Ray_YC I am keen on the speed pack #5 however, with the Optus Service check only the 100Mb speed is available, with another provider it shows my address can get 250/25. 

Finally got my hand on the ultra wifi modem from some dodgy site. I am still on the old plan will the 4G backup sim be active when it synch up to my account?

So far the wifi performance is similar to the 5366TN however, little more locked down. Haven't updated to the latest firmware and would like to see how well the band steering on this modem. 

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos