Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Optus Ultra WiFi modem with 4G back-up is here

The sales rep was pretty keen for me to have the modem. It is paid off at $7 per month so after 36 months it is free.

I don't know if I will switch providers, but now I am on NBN I am finally able to. The service on optus has been pretty good, but their $2.20 non-direct debit fee and their $2.20 paper bill fee really annoy me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Crowd Champion
Crowd Champion

I wonder if the modem is free if you sign up to a 24 months contract. The electronic bill is pretty good. The bills these days are not as complex as what it used to be with Optus. I don’t mind reading off the computer and print it out if needed, save $2.20 per month. I must say I didn’t want direct debit in the past, don’t want to sign a blank cheque and give company direct access to my account. I have set up a separate saving account, Cayman Is, with a small balance to use for direct debit, save $2.20 per month.

I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

So the tech came but could not install as no "old" T co. line.  Amazed it took a tech to confirm as T co. at least had that inf. Perhaps they lost their records or don't like sharing?

NBN turn up unannounced and, long story short, I end up with another cable dangling from telegraph pole to the house (Sydney suburb 2020), but at least it's a cable.......

Optus Chat is just a game of being passed around "departments" until you give up (6 in a row I lasted)........

Any clues who to actually converse with at Optus or NBN to get something moving?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can someone tell me if this modem can be put into bridge mode. Looking at Optus plans to finally move off Optus Cable, but if the modem can't be put into bridge mode then this a showstopper for me as I have mesh wifi network set up and other network equipment I do not want to change

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

@Scott18 

I have the non LTE version - the F@st 5366TN.  There is no Bridge mode on this device (like there is on the older HFC EMTAs (CG3000 / CG3000v2), but this doesn't stop my network from working.

I too have a WiFi Mesh solution connected to it from one of the yellow LAN ports.  All my devices in the home connect to the Mesh network via WiFi and RJ45 cables - laptops, TV, Fetch, printer, Gaming consoles.  Everything works so long as these are all on a common IP address subnet and that (in my case) the WiFi Mesh box connected to the Optus modem is the only router handing out IP addresses.

I don't need a static IP address for my Mesh solution - so means I can get away with the solution I have. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

So, after getting my optus bill today and noticing a bogus plan change fee on my first bill since I was on the nbn, I was finally triggered to leave optus. They always seem to stuff the billing up, when something changes.

I switched to AussieBB 100/40, it happened within 30 mins of me signing up, which was impressively fast.

After a short outage, everything continued working as it should so I can confirm this router works on other providers EXCEPT my uploads seem to be throttled at around 19 Mb/s. Every speed test maxes out at 19 Mb/s. Coincidentally my optus nbn plan was 50/20,

I thought my NBN connection may have been incorrectly configured, so I plugged my computer straight into the NTD. And I got an upload speed of 37Mb/s.

So somehow this router is throttling uploads, but there is nothing to indicate this in the routers control panel, or any way to change it???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

a factory reset fixed my uploads. Would be nice if I could change the voip settings now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Whilst I was cancelling my service, I asked them to connect me to the technical team in order to find out how to configure the VOIP settings.

In typical optus style, they were clueless and advised me to contact the manufacturer

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

This is the response I received from sagecom support:

Hello

You can not use this router with another internet access provider , this router is locked for Optus without possibility to unlocked it , Sagemcom never send firmware.

Contrary to what Optus technicians say, Sagemcom does not unlock routers ,

Best regard

It is not strictly true as it seems to mostly work for my purposes, except the VOIP settings.

Still, it is absolute bull that optus make you pay full price for a crippled router.

0 Kudos